Question Purchase MEG 2.0.6 in 2023?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alekseolsen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been looking for a MEG rebreather to get certified on here in Norway. MEG since they have been quite inexpensive here in Norway - so there are plenty of people diving one, including the two persons I "Normally" dive overhead with. (Which is quite the statement from someone with ~35 hard overhead dives..)

I had found a seller through fellow buddies that had two MEG'S for sale, one 2.7 and one 2.0.6 - as I was stuck travelling for work, someone else bought the 2.7 I intended to purchase.

Now I wonder if acquiring the older model is a reasonable approach? My goal with the RB is to:
- get "up to speed" on the unit/RB diving
- allow the ~60 meters dives I'm occasionally doing today easier logistics wise (extra cost per dive also a factor, but mainly logistics), so it can be done more frequently
- eventually I want deeper ( I do have a ~80m wreck on a wishlist, but distant future)
- It does seem awesome diving into overheads with a RB but that's nothing to consider at this time..

I'm based in the Eastern part of Norway, meaning cold and often low vis diving, ~70% shore dives.
Weight of the rig is not a concern.

All advice appreciated :)

Reactions: OTF
2.06 is a well built unit. Very similar to the 2.7.
If you are handy and don't mind fixing your own issues, parts are still available through non-scuba channels.
If you are a "send it out to be fixed" person, don't buy a Meg other than a Pirahna, or maybe even just don't buy a Meg as they tend to randomly end of life units without warning.

Are the counterlungs and hoses in good shape? New CLs and new loop hoses will NOT be cheap. The electronics are 20 years old at this point. Its still worth diving as a first unit - just not worth very much so dont overpay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom