Monofin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have been diving with a single fin for about a year now. It has two foot pockets in a single fin.

I find it a lot easier to kick with than my normal fins. And I seem to go a little faster.

If I push one of my knees forward slightly as I kick down, I can turn as fast as I could with two fins.

Obviously, a giant stride entry is not in the cards while wearing the fin.

I believe the "Monofin" is going to be officially announced at DEMA next month.

It's kind of fun to see a new development in the tried and true world of fins.

I think you'll find free divers have been using them for some time.....

The bit about giant strides made me laugh. How do you get off the boat with both your feet in one fin? I guess backrolling is okay, but most of the boats I dive from are set up for giant strides.

Zept

I should buy one to complement my monoski!

http://www.monoski.com/ (I've got a 180 Carver)

I saw one a couple of years ago at a Brookstone store of all places...

Roak

[The bit about giant strides made me laugh. How do you get off the boat with both your feet in one fin? I guess backrolling is okay, but most of the boats I dive from are set up for giant strides.

Zept

Hi there,

Actually I have two ways of getting off the back of a boat. One is to simply stand on the edge and do a half gainer so I hit the water tank first. And the other is to sit on the dive platform with my feet in the fin in the water and then just roll forward. Both methods work. Which I use depends on the height of the platform out of the water and the roughness of the seas.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom