Moku Manu? Does anyone dive this site?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weenerdoggs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everybody,

I have been researching a bit and would love to get out to a site I haven't seen, Moku Manu, some of you may know it and hopefully dive it. I contacted a couple of shops but they didn't know anyone hitting sites on the windward side. I understand that the site is near the military base, however it is clearly free waters from what the maps say.

Any tips for getting to this site? I would love to share cost if anyone knows a Capt. who will take a few people there.

Cheers, and thanks for any info and words of wisdom.

Jason

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

moved to main Ohana Forum

yeah, which island?

Tell you what. You tell me where it is. If there is a boat ramp nearby you me and one of my buddies go take my zodiac out to dive it. No charge. We are always up for new sites that are either seldom dove or have never been dove before.

Sherman

800px-

Maybe he means this (from wikipedia):

Moku Manu, or "Bird Island" in the Hawaiian language, is an offshore islet of Oahu, three-quarters of a mile off Mokapu peninsula. Moku Manu and an adjacent small isle are connected by an underwater dike. The island was formed from debris flung from a vent of the Kailua Volcano close by. Its highest point is 202 feet high, bordered by near-vertical cliffs on many sides. Moku Manu is protected as a state seabird sanctuary like its neighbors to the south, Manana, Kāohikaipu, and Mōkōlea Rock. Regardless, landing by boat is almost impossible anyway due to the lack of a safe beach.

Moku Manu's isolated nature makes it an excellent nesting site. Eleven species of seabirds nest on Moku Manu, along with several migrating shorebirds.

Dibs on being the third :wink:

Matt

looks like currents could be an issue :) Better bring that epirb, GPS, VHF radio, cell phone, sunkist kit :)

I guess we'd better start asking for donations for all of that stuff. Isn't that how it's done?

Moku Manu - Oahu Dive Sites - Diving Oahu

Still sounds like it'd be worth it. What's the worst that could happen?

Matt

Things that make you go "hmmm"

"The seaward side of the north island has a skirting shelf at 30 feet that drops to 90, then plummeting to 200 plus feet further out. Lobsters make their home in lava tubes along the drop off, and pukas are the residence to several moray eels. As usual with a drop-off, keep a lookout to see what swims by."

I think it's time for:

(1) A group of us charter a boat and do
...(A) An exploration Dive in recreational limits
...(B) Pull/Review Bathymetric Maps of the East Side
...(C) Do a little video work/review
...(D) If deemed feasible in (A) come back and explore the deeper parts

Now the question becomes, if we can convince one of our "Captain friends" for (A) how many people are interested? I am calling around, now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom