Moku Manu? Does anyone dive this site?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am of course so there. I can dive either rec or deeper exploration, am also glad to be a surface support as this definitely sounds like a site that makes that prudent. Let's git'er done.

I've been out there once. Around the flat island. Pretty cool over there. Current was pretty strong between the islands.

Kudos to Gabe for knowing someone who has been there!

Sounds like there are at least 6 of us (and soon maybe more!!!) who want to make the outing.
Maybe we can do a few trips there!

Jason

Here's the cave Weinerdoggs was talking about:

cavesmall.jpg

One of the nicest dives on the island, bar none. The deep ledge on the outside is spectacular, too - it stairsteps from 80-90' at the top down to 200' with tons of black coral all the way down.

It's difficult to dive here for several reasons - the location makes it exposed to just about all of Oahu's bad sea conditions. Usually the trade swell makes it undiveable, and it sticks out far enough to pick up a mean north wrap in the winter and spring. On a bad day, the currents are horrendous, which isn't really a problem if you're diving the caves on the inside of the island but can be deadly if you're on the outside ledge. There are usually only a handful of days a year when you can go.

Dunno if any of the dive charters will take you there (probably not since none launch out of Kaneohe). Make sure you are diving with somebody who's very familiar with the local weather and tides and how they affect the site - the ocean will kick your butt if you're not prepared.

Looks like a cool site :D I expect pictures and video :D

Hmmm,

K so, who has dove the site before and is willing to join us? (That picture didn't help any, now I really must dive that thing)...

Did I mention I am available Sunday? (Yup I know, mother's day).

Sherm

Sunday would not be good. You need a day with variable winds, no North or East swell, and a decent period of slack tide.

Just be patient and it'll come.

Yeah I just looked after I wrote that, swells don't look good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom