Moku Manu? Does anyone dive this site?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm in, just have to tell the wife it's part of the class :)

There is a boat ramp in Kailua, but it almost looks like it may be a shorter trip if we could launch from the MCBH...
Also, Kailua bay is a bit tricky to navigate, but should be doable in a zodiac.

Matt

Thanks to HUE and everybody for the interest!!! Sounds like this may actually become a reality.
A few necessary points:

The location I am speaking of most definitely has the other name of "Bird Island" (thanks Fisheater for the pic and details). I have not dove the site but I know that one of the staff at Aarons Dive shop has and probably could give us some more details as to where to enter the water.

I have been reading about it in a book entitled "Diving Hawaii and Midway" by Mike and Pauline Severns, pg 164.

The rock is eroded and apparently there are a few caves , one of which is huge, having a 10x10 ft entrance at 50 ft below surface, then running in 150 ft in and turning into a vertical crack with light streaming in. Sounds cool yeah!!!

The maps show a depth of 2-7 fathoms on the windward side of the island.

I think it will require a few things to do this safely:
Someone who has dove the site and can be our guide, and of course someone who can Capt the boat and pick us up when we surface. The water can be rough and current an issue.

Any further thoughts?

Jason

Thanks for the link to the site description! Good info :)

The ramp at K-Bay would probably be fine and close by. I think if we avoid the military things may go easier as they have a history of bugging divers who are trying to dive the site despite it being out of their territory they still patrol it a bit.

Sounds like a good plan!

I can be reached at 415 317 6979 or mailforjason@gmail.com

Thanks for the interest HUE!

If you all make it there (AND BACK), please post photos, so the rest of us can live through you.

Back
Top Bottom