Modified W200.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm looking at your picture of the W200 mod R2 with reflector...what would be the lumens in that picture? How would this compare with the Light Cannon for instance?

I'm looking at your picture of the W200 mod R2 with reflector...what would be the lumens in that picture? How would this compare with the Light Cannon for instance?

A R2 produces about 250 lumen. Subtract from that inefficiencies in the lens and reflector and thats how many projected lumen you get. How many is that? To be honest I dont know. But its comparable to any other R2 based light that is driven at 1 amp . Note most LED dive lights are not driven at full current for the life of the battery, only at the start, after that they dim down as the battery voltage reduces.

I have not used a light cannon so I cant comment on the comparison.

Orders are now being taken for the all new W200/ R4 reflector!!!!

Cost $300NZ plus shipping.

R2 XR-E left R4 XP-G right

R2I.jpg
R4I.jpg

R2O.jpg
R4O.jpg

Ah, sorry.
The Cree XR-E has been the Top Dog LED for a few years. Every now and then they bring out a slightly better version. They look the same but get a bit brighter.
These are sorted into "Bins". I think P4 was the 1st then came the Q1,2,3,4,5 Then the R2.
Cree have now released a new LED called the XP-G. Its tiny as! Like less than 4mmx 4mm!
Its Die ( the part that produces the light) is slightly bigger than the XR-E's though and has a wider angle of dispersion at 125 degrees vs the XR-E's 90 degrees.
Anyway Bins for the XP-G's currently are R3, R4 and now R5. R2 is about 250 lumen at 1amp while the R5 is rated at over 350 ( I think).

But more lumen can sometimes come at a cost. EG its easier for a LED to make a cool coloured light than a neutral colour. So Hi output LEDs tend to have a blueish tint. Most neutral tints will be a lower Bin.

Actually the Dorcy light takes AAA cells. There are two banks, each one has 3 cells in series and the two banks are in parallel. So the voltage of the light is 3*(1.2-1.5) volts depending if the cells are rechargeable or alkaline. 3.6-4.5 volts, about the same as the 18650 li cell. The AAA batteries hold 2* 1000maH of charge and I think the 18650 holds more.

Adam

Yes the Dorcy Light uses two banks

Here's a diagram I did for it for another thread

Dorcy-dive-light-battery-catridge.jpg

Yes the Dorcy Light uses two banks

Here's a diagram I did for it for another thread

Dorcy-dive-light-battery-catridge.jpg

This Dorcy light has been discontinued and the company is redesigning it. Another small light I recommend is the Coast LED Lenser D14, a 4 AA light, available on Amazon. Not nearly as bright as a Packhorse but much smaller and fits into a BC pocket. It's too bad Greg discontinued the single 18650 light.

Adam

Back
Top Bottom