MK19 Evo -- Not available in DIN with G260?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sealed piston mechanism of the Atomic is a messy pain to work on as opposed to the sealed diagaphram and Tribolube is $50 for 2 oz, so that adds in to the cost of maintaining that environmental seal on the M1. Christolube even higher priced.

But everybody likes one or the other so there ya go.

Who cares if it's a messy pain if a trained tech is doing it for you?

If the service costs more, well, how many times will you have it serviced before the extra cost adds up enough to make it cost as much as the Mk19/G260 did up front? I've had my Atomic M1s for 3 or 4 years now and so far they show no sign of needing to be serviced.

If you don't need it to be environmentally sealed, you can leave out the mess, pain, and expense of the christolube.

If the service costs more, well, how many times will you have it serviced before the extra cost adds up enough to make it cost as much as the Mk19/G260 did up front? I've had my Atomic M1s for 3 or 4 years now and so far they show no sign of needing to be serviced.

If you don't need it to be environmentally sealed, you can leave out the mess, pain, and expense of the christolube.

I think one person started this BS about the "messy pain" a while back and now everyone is copy & pasting.

I have worked on MANY Atomics and had several technicians doing the same for many years and no one complained about the "mess". The customers most certainly didn't make any difference to them at all and probably didn't know or care about what's inside.

I've no hate for the Atomics, actually I like them. I've had a B2 (sealed) and an ST1 for a few years - they were the first regs I bought. But I know now I paid more than I needed to for my first reg sets (the MK11+R370 would be what I would have gone with first off if I had known better, or the APEKS XL4+) at a little more than half the price of the Atomics... But the shop said "When you're 'deep down you want the best'. And the Atomics, well they the best they is".

I've a drawer full of MK17s, MK11s, an MK11t, a few H50-Ds and HOGs. The Atomics don't get used anymore. I have seen MK19s and really would have ZERO interest in having one. They are just too bulky. The MK19 might be a deal if it were half the price. But still too big. As the H50-D is still available and the MK11s as new, I would never see a need for the MK19. I really have no great lust for a turret. My current favorite is an MK11/MK17/H50-D paired with an Apeks XL4 second.

On the upcoming trip to Roatan I intend to go back to the G260 and see if I like it any better than I first did, since swapping the mouthpiece out for an APEKS comfy-nibbler. Maybe get a decision on the long-term position of the G260 in the lineup: In use or on the shelf with the Atomics.

I do all my own servicing. Don't trust the Atomic packing tool so hand packing is the way to go. (I don't trust wheel bearing packers either, so I still manually smush grease into those in the palm of my hand. Maybe just my thing.)

At the end of the day, I prefer diaphragm regs over pistons. If I were to do pistons (and I'd probably be perfectly happy), I think I'd go MK2. To each him's own though. There ya go.

I think one person started this BS about the "messy pain" a while back and now everyone is copy & pasting.

I have worked on MANY Atomics and had several technicians doing the same for many years and no one complained about the "mess". The customers most certainly didn't make any difference to them at all and probably didn't know or care about what's inside.

Well... it probably does make a difference to the customer when it's time to pay the bill for the service. I would guess that most places charge extra for servicing a sealed Atomic 1st stage, as compared to servicing an unsealed 1st stage or anybody else's sealed 1st stage.

But, yeah, other than a little extra expense, I totally agree that the service being a "messy pain" is a total red herring. Also, I have not serviced my Atomics yet. But, I do wonder if the "messy pain" comments are from people who have all the correct Atomic special tools for doing the service, or if it they are from people who found it to be a messy pain when attempting to refill the christolube using jerry-rigged or makeshift tools.

I think I read a post not long ago from @rsingler about how he refills an Atomic with christolube. I read it thoroughly, to understand what I might be getting myself into at some point. My takeaway was that it added a few minutes (maybe even 10 to 15 minutes?) to the service, and a bit of extra cost for materials. And that was it.

I've no hate for the Atomics, actually I like them. I've had a B2 (sealed) and an ST1 for a few years - they were the first regs I bought. But I know now I paid more than I needed to for my first reg sets (the MK11+R370 would be what I would have gone with first off if I had known better, or the APEKS XL4+) at a little more than half the price of the Atomics... But the shop said "When you're 'deep down you want the best'. And the Atomics, well they the best they is".

I've a drawer full of MK17s, MK11s, an MK11t, a few H50-Ds and HOGs. The Atomics don't get used anymore. I have seen MK19s and really would have ZERO interest in having one. They are just too bulky. The MK19 might be a deal if it were half the price. But still too big. As the H50-D is still available and the MK11s as new, I would never see a need for the MK19. I really have no great lust for a turret. My current favorite is an MK11/MK17/H50-D paired with an Apeks XL4 second.

On the upcoming trip to Roatan I intend to go back to the G260 and see if I like it any better than I first did, since swapping the mouthpiece out for an APEKS comfy-nibbler. Maybe get a decision on the long-term position of the G260 in the lineup: In use or on the shelf with the Atomics.

I do all my own servicing. Don't trust the Atomic packing tool so hand packing is the way to go. (I don't trust wheel bearing packers either, so I still manually smush grease into those in the palm of my hand. Maybe just my thing.)

At the end of the day, I prefer diaphragm regs over pistons. If I were to do pistons (and I'd probably be perfectly happy), I think I'd go MK2. To each him's own though. There ya go.

People have different tastes, you have none :p

it probably does make a difference to the customer when it's time to pay the bill for the service. I would guess that most places charge extra for servicing a sealed Atomic 1st stage, as compared to servicing an unsealed 1st stage or anybody else's sealed 1st stage.

Perhaps but doing it once every 3 or 4 years is still much less than the other regulators. Atomic regulators have least cost of ownership compared with other high quality high performance regulators in my experience.

I've no hate for the Atomics, actually I like them. I've had a B2 (sealed) and an ST1 for a few years - they were the first regs I bought. But I know now I paid more than I needed to for my first reg sets

We agree on that.

For single tank use, I would (and did) get Atomic Z2 regs. $570 for an unsealed DIN or Yoke set.

A ScubaPro Mk11/C370 is $639 and, in my opinion, inferior.

I would (and did) choose sealed DIN Z2, which is currently $599. I think the bottom LP port makes it preferable to the Mk11. That gives better hose routing for single tank use (in my opinion). Of course, you can choose to set up your hoses the same as you would on a Mk11, if you prefer that, so the Z2 has no disadvantage there.

Also, being able to convert the Z2 to have a swivel turret, if desired in the future, adds to its advantage over the Mk11.

I personally would not find any reason to spend extra for a B2 or ST1. Z2 for single tank. M1 for technical use. TFX for single tank and travel IF and only if you want the money-is-no-object Best.

I love my G260s. But, if I had them and Atomic B2s, I would use the B2s. I wouldn't buy B2s. But, if I HAD them, I would use them. I haven't (yet) tried anything that I thought breathed BETTER than the Atomics.

Sincerely NOT trying to be argumentative on this. I have seen the same or similar comment from others before.

What is your reason (or reasons) for preferring diaphragm over piston? Seriously. Not trying to argue. Just trying to understand your perspective on that.

Sincerely NOT trying to be argumentative on this. I have seen the same or similar comment from others before.

What is your reason (or reasons) for preferring diaphragm over piston? Seriously. Not trying to argue. Just trying to understand your perspective on that.
Keeps crap out that would otherwise cause certain kinds of wear over time.

But at least I'd keep the door open to my Atomics and the MK2 line.

If it were cars, I'll flatly say I intend to never ever ever own a Ford Motor Company product. Matter of fact several years back my father offered to give me his 2 year old F-150. Just said "No." Because it was a Ford even though I needed a new vehicle at the time.

A man's gotta have his standards.

Keeps crap out that would otherwise cause certain kinds of wear over time.

But at least I'd keep the door open to my Atomics and the MK2 line.

If it were cars, I'll flatly say I intend to never ever ever own a Ford Motor Company product. Matter of fact several years back my father offered to give me his 2 year old F-150. Just said "No." Because it was a Ford even though I needed a new vehicle at the time.

A man's gotta have his standards.

So, you prefer diaphragms over UNSEALED pistons? Or you prefer diaphragm over ALL pistons? It seems like you are saying you prefer diaphragm when the alternative is unsealed.

Back
Top Bottom