MK15/20/25/19 How about that?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about servicing...MK25 vs MK19?

I enjoy rebuilding the MK25...although, I do agree with the observation that the ambient chamber is entirely vulnerable to grit wear and suffers in this regard.

Yes, I also cringe at having to purchase MK19s to replace my MK25s...is there much of a used market for them, as much at MK25s? Selling off my excellent MK25s will help here, though....

How about servicing...MK25 vs MK19?

I enjoy rebuilding the MK25...although, I do agree with the observation that the ambient chamber is entirely vulnerable to grit wear and suffers in this regard.

Yes, I also cringe at having to purchase MK19s to replace my MK25s...is there much of a used market for them, as much at MK25s? Selling off my excellent MK25s will help here, though....
MK19 will be more complicated and will require more parts than MK25, however still very similar to MK17 or MK17Evo, maybe small nuances differ.

And definitely you won't be seeing MK19 around as much as MK25 in terms of used market, specially in the North America.

Yeah, we can do that. I have one that I'll be disassembling for this weekend's Reg Tech Seminar, and I'll take some pics.
Any update on them pics? Any comment on the MK19 vs MK25 servicing [besides the obvious]? :D

The service opinion I am wondering about are:

The MK25 requires more finesse in a rebuild for optimum performance.... [for example] the knife edge on the top of the piston shaft having to be maintained [micro sand paper] being a bit of a skill that is developed for optimum lockup performance. Also, the ambient chamber needs an inspection and possible polish during rebuilds. Also, [less frequently] care must be taken when tightening the swivel cap [ask me how I know].

VS

The MK19 is more complex and has more parts...but...there is not really much skill involved. You just disassemble and reassemble. Boring, per se, but straightforward and reliable.

While polishing the volcano in the Mk19 will probably be as necessary as it was in the 17, as air zips around the corner from the tank, sandblasting the edge, it's much easier than on the Mk25.

Service is indeed easier, but you need the $35 UWATEC quik-disconnect tool to torque the HP chamber correctly. Otherwise, as you said, a piece of cake. The other Mk17/19 diaphragm clamp tool is also very helpful.

Yeah, some pics coming after the holidays.
Would a free Zoom Seminar on just this reg be of interest to anyone besides Andrew?

While polishing the volcano in the Mk19 will probably be as necessary as it was in the 17, as air zips around the corner from the tank, sandblasting the edge, it's much easier than on the Mk25.

Service is indeed easier, but you need the $35 UWATEC quik-disconnect tool to torque the HP chamber correctly. Otherwise, as you said, a piece of cake. The other Mk17/19 diaphragm clamp tool is also very helpful.

Would a free Zoom Seminar on just this reg be of interest to anyone besides Andrew?
Absolutely of interest, here!!

Polishing the volcano....that is a new one for me lol

I will have to search those up on here as well as info on those tools.

I am considering...once I win the lotto...switching to those 1st stages for my SM setup. Last rebuild of my MK25s, I did have a decent amount of corrosion/wear in my ambient chamber on one...the other not much but some.

Later, I might consider switching to G260s just for not having to mess with the micro adjuster of the S600, but this last rebuild seemed like a non issue. I just followed the notes I had from working with a certain SP expert on here.........

I would be interested for sure, I do not own them yet but hopefully its a matter of time :)

Yes to seminar!

Polishing the volcano....that is a new one for me lol

I will have to search those up on here as well as info on those tools.

I am considering...once I win the lotto...switching to those 1st stages for my SM setup. Last rebuild of my MK25s, I did have a decent amount of corrosion/wear in my ambient chamber on one...the other not much but some.

Later, I might consider switching to G260s just for not having to mess with the micro adjuster of the S600, but this last rebuild seemed like a non issue. I just followed the notes I had from working with a certain SP expert on here.........
I wouldn’t google “polishing the volcano” at work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom