Missing diver off Scituate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MASS-Diver:
Lets be honest here - the reason why people have boats follow them around is that they don't even have the skills to find their way back to an anchored boat. They jump in and search randomly for bugs - no one of the surface knows their direction as they do not swim a compass course. It's a sloppy way to dive is as very unsafe (IMO), picture if you were out in your boat and you and you saw another moving boat trying to follow a dive flag around in the open ocean.
While we're being honest, I'll admit to having done a sloppy solo hunt myself, and (I'd like to think) not for lack of skills. It was for lack of redundant solo gear, lack of a buddy, lack of dinner for three, and arguably a lack of good judgment on my part.

I was on a weekend-long sailing trip with a couple of buddies, and due to a lack of anticipated winds, we were running late getting back to Hewitt's Cove in Weymouth. I had some dive gear with me, as the boat's owner was certified, but he didn't have his gear on board this time. I stowed it rather than abandon it in my car for the weekend, but didn't anticipate diving. It was getting to be time for dinner, but we hadn't rationed the food at all, and all we had left was some couscous and broccoli.

To make a long story short, the visibility looked great, and I decided to grab a pole spear and see if I could get us dinner off Minots ledge, while the other guys sat in the inflatable dinghy as "spotters". As it happens, my dive flag came untied, and I didn't notice as a result of using that yellow polypro line that comes on so many flag spools... it floats. I surfaced with a nice 18" flounder just as they were firing up the outboard to chase after "me". The flag had drifted almost 50 yards by then.

I learned to tie a proper knot in my flag line after that, and I got a much better sort of line and reel.

In any case, the spotters seemed better than nothing, even if we all knew there wasn't much they'd be able to do if there was a problem. I definately don't recommend the practice, and given the circumstances, I agree that a tender line would have been a good idea. If you're going to bother having spotters, I think it would be sensible to have some line tug signals worked out.

I've done tons of solo diving, I just think that if you have a boat, you keep it in one place anchored. The people on board have set of field glasses and they know what direction you are swimming (hopefully you start off up current). You put a long tag line off the boat. I've just never saw any value in "spotters." In this case, I'd be concerned that they gave the victim a false sense of security.

MSilvia:
While we're being honest, I'll admit to having done a sloppy solo hunt myself, and (I'd like to think) not for lack of skills. It was for lack of redundant solo gear, lack of a buddy, lack of dinner for three, and arguably a lack of good judgment on my part.

I was on a weekend-long sailing trip with a couple of buddies, and due to a lack of anticipated winds, we were running late getting back to Hewitt's Cove in Weymouth. I had some dive gear with me, as the boat's owner was certified, but he didn't have his gear on board this time. I stowed it rather than abandon it in my car for the weekend, but didn't anticipate diving. It was getting to be time for dinner, but we hadn't rationed the food at all, and all we had left was some couscous and broccoli.

To make a long story short, the visibility looked great, and I decided to grab a pole spear and see if I could get us dinner off Minots ledge, while the other guys sat in the inflatable dinghy as "spotters". As it happens, my dive flag came untied, and I didn't notice as a result of using that yellow polypro line that comes on so many flag spools... it floats. I surfaced with a nice 18" flounder just as they were firing up the outboard to chase after "me". The flag had drifted almost 50 yards by then.

I learned to tie a proper knot in my flag line after that, and I got a much better sort of line and reel.

In any case, the spotters seemed better than nothing, even if we all knew there wasn't much they'd be able to do if there was a problem. I definately don't recommend the practice, and given the circumstances, I agree that a tender line would have been a good idea. If you're going to bother having spotters, I think it would be sensible to have some line tug signals worked out.

I think we've all done a fool hearty thing or two to avoid eating couscous and broccoli.
Thanks for your honesty - its the main reason I come to this board.

I haven't heard if they found any sign of him in everything I have seen in the news. What a thread this one is poor bugger dies and some people want to speculate on his skills, and the habits of the average diver. Some people are spending too much time on the board and too little actually diving. My sympathy to his family especially his children.

ScubaNorth:
I haven't heard if they found any sign of him in everything I have seen in the news. What a thread this one is poor bugger dies and some people want to speculate on his skills, and the habits of the average diver. Some people are spending too much time on the board and too little actually diving. My sympathy to his family especially his children.

When you die with a boat following you around in the open ocean watching your bubbles you can expect people to speculate that (at least on this dive) you didn't know what you are doing.

Don't worry about me, I get in the water every now and again, including right in the area where this guy died. I have a group of friends that I think are pretty representive of the average NE rec/lobster diver in terms of their experince, gear, and attitute - half the stuff I see these guys do makes me cringe.

Just the other day, I got a call from a buddy asking me to 110' dive outside Minots looking for some gear. This guy dives wet with a single, he got his C-card and was done with training. He's an expectionally strong swimmer and does tons of commerical work (checking morings, etc). He thinks that a 100' dive is nothing, even though he has never dove deeper than 40' before. There are too many other people out there that take diving in the NE way too lightly and think they are lot better than they are.....

ScubaNorth:
What a thread this one is poor bugger dies and some people want to speculate on his skills, and the habits of the average diver.

I think it presents a valuable lesson hearing what people think happened and relating their own experiences. Just saying "poor guy" and leaving it at that isn't helpful.

MASS-Diver:
When you die with a boat following you around in the open ocean watching your bubbles you can expect people to speculate that (at least on this dive) you didn't know what you are doing.

Don't worry about me, I get in the water every now and again, including right in the area where this guy died. I have a group of friends that I think are pretty representive of the average NE rec/lobster diver in terms of their experince, gear, and attitute - half the stuff I see these guys do makes me cringe.

Just the other day, I got a call from a buddy asking me to 110' dive outside Minots looking for some gear. This guy dives wet with a single, he got his C-card and was done with training. He's an expectionally strong swimmer and does tons of commerical work (checking morings, etc). He thinks that a 100' dive is nothing, even though he has never dove deeper than 40' before. There are too many other people out there that take diving in the NE way too lightly and think they are lot better than they are.....
MASS-I respect what you have to say and agree with you about training or lack there of wasn't you I had in mind when I was typing. Don't even get me started on the horrid training I have seen and been involved with. My first real dive (outside of certification) was open water to 130', first time in salt water, first time off a boat. I don't know who was stupider me or the dive tour operator.

ScubaNorth:
I don't know who was stupider me or the dive tour operator.
Since you made it back and now recognize why it isn't a good idea, I'm going to have to go with the tour operator.

pdive:
I think it presents a valuable lesson hearing what people think happened and relating their own experiences. Just saying "poor guy" and leaving it at that isn't helpful.

Stupid people do stupid things and never learn. This is not a comment aimed at the "poor guy". I am not opposed to solo diving, and actually think all diving is solo to a great extent. In practical application people learn lessons by pain and practice not discussions on message boards. I actually said poor b@stard but it got censored so I changed it, never said poor guy. Poor grammar and typos are free of charge, no need to thank me for those. Never knew b@stard was a bad word either, so I guess after all this I am wrong I did learn something on a message board. Peace.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom