Missing diver off Scituate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jchaplain

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about this? It was off a boat with 28 passengers the news says, so I assume a scuba dive charter?

John C.

jchaplain:
Does anyone know anything about this? It was off a boat with 28 passengers the news says, so I assume a scuba dive charter?

John C.

I did see this in today's Boston Globe (New England In Brief section):

Crews search for missing diver, jet skier
The Coast Guard was searching last night for a 29-year-old male who disappeared while diving near Scituate earlier in the afternoon. The man, who was not identified by authorities, had three safety spotters in a nearby boat tracking his bubbles from the surface, and the group called for help when the bubbles stopped appearing, around 3 p.m., according to the Coast Guard. A rescue helicopter, a 25-foot Coast Guard utility boat, and two Scituate Harbormaster ships were involved in the search. The man was believed to have been checking lobster traps in the water, said Petty Officer Etta Smith, a Coast Guard spokesman. Smith said the search was expected to continue throughout the night. The Coast Guard was also searching last night for a person reported missing after a jet ski ride near Plum Island, Smith said. The search began about 9:30 p.m. for the person, who had fallen behind while riding with two other people, Smith said. No further details were available, she said.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/09/02/missing_swimmers_body_is_found/

update from boston.com:

Search for lost diver is halted
September 3, 2007

The Coast Guard suspended the search last night for a scuba diver who was reported missing Saturday about a quarter-mile off the coast. Timothy Ericcson was diving for lobster at a depth of about 20 feet. The Coast Guard says he had three spotters in a 28-foot vessel who were tracking his bubbles. When bubbles were no longer visible, the trio called for help. The Coast Guard searched an area over 50 square miles before suspending the search just after 8 p.m. The Coast Guard was helped in the search by the State Police dive team, Scituate and Marshfield harbormasters, Scituate Fire Department divers, and Environmental Police. (AP)

Sgt_Nutz:
Has anyone heard anymore updates on this?
I work with his brother denny who was on the boat!
One of the guys talked to him this morning.
He said his flag stopped moving for a while and no bubbles were coming up.
So he pulled on it and he was not there.
He said the navy is bringing in a ship with special sonar to try and find him!!!
Rick L

Boston Herald Article

Here is just the text:

Tim Ericson, the Marshfield dad of two who disappeared while scuba diving for lobsters, died doing what he loved, his brothers said yesterday, one day after the Coast Guard called off the search for their youngest brother - still missing and presumed dead.

“He was going diving all the time,” said Ericson’s brother Richard Ericson of Kingston. “It was like a second job for him. When he wasn’t working, he would do it. He would dive up and down the South Shore, everywhere from Boston Harbor to Quincy to Scituate.”

Ericson, 30, often brought lobsters to his mom and two brothers, said his brother Dennis Ericson of Marshfield.

Dennis Ericson, 32, was one of three spotters on a 28-foot boat Saturday afternoon in Scituate Harbor when Ericson’s bubbles disappeared from the surface. He said there was nothing unusual about the dive. Ericson, a certified diver, had completed hundreds of dives.

Dennis Ericson called the Coast Guard, which brought in dive teams and helicopters and searched for more than 24 hours.

“We lost him and that was the end of it,” he said.

Ericson, who has a son, Teddy, 11, and daughter, Kasey, 5, was an electrician at Matthews Electric in Marshfield. He was a graduate of South Shore Vocational Technical High School and spent three years in the U.S. Navy.

He lived with his mother on Forest Street in Marshfield. His father, Stephen Ericson, lives in Florida.

“He loved his children,” said his mother, Maive Ericson. “He was very family-oriented and a very good son, good to me.”

reefseal:
yikes. Makes me rethink diving solo! Anything could have happened. (Getting tangled in line, accidentaly hit by own boat tracking his bubbles and became unconscious..)
You can take tangled in the flag line off the list!
It was loose when he pulled on it!
Rick L

Maybe I am missing something but it seems odd that they suspended the search so soon. When I first heard about the missing diver on the news the search was already suspended. Of course the media could be way behind in their reporting...:shakehead:

(Getting tangled in line, accidentaly hit by own boat tracking his bubbles and became unconscious..)

Hmm, hit by his own boat perhaps? Seemed to young for a medical problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom