Missing diver off Scituate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did he have any kind of safety sausage or other signal device? Dive slate with anything written on it?

Very sad story. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

I was thinking more along the lines that he made it to the surface and had a long wait. Those folks lost in the Red Sea a few months ago from what the survivor said they could see many people looking for them but no way to signal. There was a big debate on the board a few months ago about what to do if you were lost in the open water.

I was just wondering if his flag came untied and the current took it and they followed the flag for 15 minutes or so and he surfaced far away.

In the picture listed here on the Surface Survial Primer:
Surface Survival Primer
Even with a dye marker and a sausage on a clear day it is hard to see someone in the water. If you scroll down that page as you get farther away there is another picture of the same guy.

Whatever happened it is very sad.

I was thinking more along the lines that he made it to the surface and had a long wait. Those folks lost in the Red Sea a few months ago from what the survivor said they could see many people looking for them but no way to signal. There was a big debate on the board a few months ago about what to do if you were lost in the open water.

I was just wondering if his flag came untied and the current took it and they followed the flag for 15 minutes or so and he surfaced far away.

In the picture listed here on the Surface Survial Primer:
Surface Survival Primer
Even with a dye marker and a sausage on a clear day it is hard to see someone in the water. If you scroll down that page as you get farther away there is another picture of the same guy.

Whatever happened it is very sad.

This guy wasn't in open ocean, he probably could have swam to shore had he surfaced alive and even if the search teams hadn't seen him, there are tons of boaters in this area. Additionally, in most cases, if you are near land, you would want to ditch your tank(s)

I asked him if they were going to check the air and gear for problems!
He said he wasn't sure but thought so.
Rick L

Under the circumstances described in this thread, this death would be considered an unattended or sudden death where the local and state police detectives would be doing an invest in order to rule out foul play. Usually, they have enough experience to know not to touch the gear and give it to either a member of the MSP Dive Team, local dive team or the gear guy at the local dive shop for inspection. But, the invest is usually limited to whether or not a crime has occurred. Basically, the detectives will do an invest until they're satisfied it was an accidental death, not a full and complete analysis of the accident. It would be up to someone else to pursue to further.

LobstaMan

They had to use dental records to id Him. :-(
So im not sure how much they will find?
They are having a family burial today!
Rest in peace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rick L

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, lesson learned. Always plan for a disaster and be thankful that you were ready for one. I would rather have a post-dive debrief than a post-mortum inbrief anyday.
Did they ever figgure out what hapened???
Tangled up????, Heart attack, Booze?????????????

This guy wasn't in open ocean, he probably could have swam to shore had he surfaced alive and even if the search teams hadn't seen him, there are tons of boaters in this area. Additionally, in most cases, if you are near land, you would want to ditch your tank(s)

Can you share a bit more information about the dive site and conditions at the time?

Back
Top Bottom