Missed deco stop, lock out?

If you miss a deco stop and surface, will your dive computer lock you out?

• I don't know

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 53 36.6%
  • No, if no, please list the brand, and model, if relevant, below

Votes: 85 58.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have use extensively Suunto, Aqualung and Ratio. Ratio is the only one that does not lock out. Both Suunto and Aqualung will lock. Suunto will go crazy if you pass 1.6 PPO. Most other rec computers will lock out instead of giving a warning. Never understood the reasoning behind it.

The Aeris Atmos AI, now out of production, will lock out computer analysis functions for 24 hours during a permanent violation mode. However, digital functions such as depth, air pressure, elapsed dive time, time, ascent rate, and maximum depth will continue to function during the analytical modes lockout period.

Shearwater Teric doesn’t lock me out

Recently did a training dive. Had 2 Shearwaters running. During a bail out drill the NERD tripped a "missed deco" as it bobbed a foot above my head on the loop mouthpiece (and above the deco stop). On the surface it had "missed deco", reviewing the data it wasn't really missed, just border line since it was above me a foot. The Petrel was completely happy. Pressed the button on the NERD, cleared the warning, all was good. Nothing locked out.

What I don't get in all this is, all the people who're happy their birdix does not lock out:
- are you guys deliberately skipping mandatory decompression and then keep diving?
- Or are you setting your conservatism factors to the levels you never intended to keep in first place?

Enquiring minds would like to know.

(I get the marginals: nerd on a loop overhead, and plain user errors: forgetting to set O2% on a backup so it thinks you're diving air, but the ones that sound like missing deco on the primary is Situation Normal(tm)... mind boggles.)

What I don't get in all this is, all the people who're happy their birdix does not lock out:
- are you guys deliberately skipping mandatory decompression and then keep diving?
- Or are you setting your conservatism factors to the levels you never intended to keep in first place?

None of above.... (!) The computer needs to be used with a grain of salt. They die for no clear reasons sometimes and they do somewhat different calculations that clearly do not match different brands. Some are even faulty out of the factory and get fixed later. That is why I am not sure why they have this lockout for 24 or 48 hours. What are they trying to do by locking up? Shouldn't they just give you a warning?.

Because they are not 100% reliable I have always 2 computers (one on console and one on my wrist) just like I have 2 regulators.
And sometimes I am setting one on air and one on Nitrox. I do this for showing the benefits of less nitrogen in a bottle. Sometimes on my own diving Nitrox I just forget to set the 2nd one which remains set on air.

I had an old Vyper that locked out for 48 hours after I surfaced with the Vyper in a deco stop. After that lockout the Vyper never worked right and got trashed.

In this example I was using the Vyper as a backup to a Galileo after a short surface interval. The Galileo was fine with my non deco dive but the Suunto was in deco.

Now I dive with a G2 as primary and Tec 3g as backup, both similarly conservative so this is unlikely to happen. I'm not sure if these lock out or not.

I just read the G2 manual and if you violate deco it does lock out as a computer for 24 hours. If you dive in this mode the computer will switch into gauge mode. The lock out shows as an SOS mode and a timer starts from 24hrs to the time you can dive again.

How about Scubapro, Sherwood, Aqualung, Ratio, Cosmiq? Looks like us SBers pretty much only use SW, Oceanic and SUUNTO.
The Scubapro G2 goes into SOS mode if you violate deco, with a countdown timer that starts at 24 hours. If you dive in the SOS mode the computer will switch into Gauge mode.

The Scubapro Tec 3G works the same in violation as the G2. That manual also adds the following:
Diving within 48 hours after the end of an SOS mode will result in shorter no stop times or longer decompression stops.

No ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, shearwater

Some call it sales appeal but i view it as a protection for novice users. Those that are tech or are up on tech knowledge can safely work around such an occurance via extended surface intervals or by just calling it a day. Divers with no clue about deco, need the lock out.

No ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, shearwater

Some call it sales appeal but i view it as a protection for novice users. Those that are tech or are up on tech knowledge can safely work around such an occurance via extended surface intervals or by just calling it a day. Divers with no clue about deco, need the lock out.

There's nothing mathematically wrong with keeping the calcualtions going while the subject's gas loading is above the M-values. But you better be very sure your subjects a) understands what it is they're doing and b) is not likely to sue everyone when stuff goes sideways.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom