Miss my Carrying Strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What about finger-walking in those situations? Too much silt?

Soggy:
Try using a frog kick while swimming down the hallway of a wreck designed to fit half a person.
Gotcha. Thanks.

Another use for the modified flutter kick is when you and your buddy get a little too close, or are required to swim side-by-side very closely. The frog and modified frog kicks require a lot of horizontal space to use effectively, whereas the modified flutter only requires vertical space.

Finger-walking - I've not seen it done in a wreck as I'm not a wreck diver, but I understand it is popular with the NE wreck divers. I've seen it done and done it in tight swimthroughs. You need good bouyancy control to do it. While neutral and hugging the bottom, put index finger into the sand and pull yourself forward, then repeat with the other hand. Needless to say, keep your knees bent and feet stationary and off the bottom. Works well in places like Devil's Throat.

redhatmama:
Finger-walking - I've not seen it done in a wreck as I'm not a wreck diver, but I understand it is popular with the NE wreck divers. I've seen it done and done it in tight swimthroughs. You need good bouyancy control to do it. While neutral and hugging the bottom, put index finger into the sand and pull yourself forward, then repeat with the other hand. Needless to say, keep your knees bent and feet stationary and off the bottom. Works well in places like Devil's Throat.

I'd rather keep my hands to myself and kick in a manner that is both more efficient and less likely to destroy visibility. Sand is not silt. Silt provides very little friction, thus wouldn't allow you to get much 'grip'. Obviously, there are times, especially going through doorways, where pulling yourself along is a better option, but whenever possible, it's best to keep your hands to yourself.

xiSkiGuy:
You'll be disappointed in me Tamas, but I've got 5thD X's Essentials DVD (great resource) and I've ordered JJ's book. I'm not giving up my BWOD's anytime soon, but there is some really good info out there.

I'm sure your setup is pretty snag proof and better if you use a lot of rental tanks, but the pen marks work just as well if you own your own tanks (Jason B's suggestion might be the best). To each their own!

another bites the dust!!!!

The reason I made the strap was to simply enhance my laziness! I wasn't going to bothered to play around with the tank each time so I slapped the strap on there - done, perfect each time and no need to mark up anything. After all that requires more effort to do then this strap.

redhatmama:
Hey Tamas, where did you get the 5/8 inch strap?

you can get it in any hardware store, camping store...heck Walmart probably has it....it's original intend was for a quick release on an old backpack of mine....most sleeping bags even have them

Tamas:
The reason I made the strap was to simply enhance my laziness! I wasn't going to bothered to play around with the tank each time so I slapped the strap on there - done, perfect each time and no need to mark up anything. After all that requires more effort to do then this strap.

I don't have a strap or a mark and mine is always perfect each time, too :D. Is it that hard to eyeball where you need your tank!?

Tamas:
another bites the dust!!!!
Don't count me out yet. I like my heretical Smart TEC, BWOD, and Matrix LTD too much to drink any kool-aid. However, the skills, buddy awareness, and concepts are very valid and worth a look at. Even if some GUE trained folks wouldn't recommend cherry picking the philosophy, I sure do.

Soggy:
I don't have a strap or a mark and mine is always perfect each time, too :D. Is it that hard to eyeball where you need your tank!?

No it's not hard at all...but why guess and sweat it if you don't have to. This way it's perfect all the time and it cuts exactly 28.36454 seconds off my gearing up time :D

I change my gear to suit ME! and not me to suit my gear - I am a D.I.M.W. diver!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom