Miss my Carrying Strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRedHead

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My old Zeagle had a strap that was adjusted to place my BC exactly the same on every tank by slipping the strap over the tank valve. Is there some DIY thingy one can make to achieve the same consistency with a BP/W?

I ran a piece of rope between the 2 upper harness slots. Set over the tank, it hold the BP at the right height while I fasten the straps.

You could also get them the way you like, and then draw a line on your tank where you want the strap to go. Personally, I just know where I like the bands on the tank, but making something shouldn't be hard.

Paint pen. Perfect, consistant placement every time.

Ken

a small strap that goes under the upper STA bolt or upper slots on the BPW and then other end over the tank neck - cost was maybe $0.20 for some spare 5/8" strap laying around

Doubles! :D

Ummm, not ready yet for doubles. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll get a paint marker and mark on my tanks the best placement and get some 5/8 in strap and make a new handle like Tamas suggested for rental tanks. I haven't dived it enough to have an eyeball for the exact placement. It's awesome, though.

Not to hijack my own thread, but how much custom stuff can you do to your hog rig before it ceases to be hog? I have a Dive Rite sternum strap and the deluxe harness so I suppose I'm not whole-hog. I don't have any quick releases except on the sternum strap. I really like it and don't see it as a failure point. Is that a big issue like in DIR?

redhatmama:
Not to hijack my own thread, but how much custom stuff can you do to your hog rig before it ceases to be hog?

Since there really is no such thing as a definitive Hogarthian rig (unless you are William Hogarth Main) and everyone who dives anything other than a jacket BC seems to think they are diving "Hogarthian", you can do whatever the heck you want to do.

But, the minimalist principle is, if you don't need it, don't bring it. I'm not sure that's a "Hogarthian" principle more than a common sense idea with its roots in Cave Diving. Basically a line trap waiting to happen (a handle on your BC) doesn't do anything for you in the water and there are better ways of solving the problem you seem to have so I'm sure you can answer your own question.

I don't have any quick releases except on the sternum strap. I really like it and don't see it as a failure point. Is that a big issue like in DIR?

It's only a 'big issue' in DIR because it is completely unnecessary with a properly fitted one-piece harness and because it can potentially get in the way of disconnecting your drysuit hose in an emergency. If you don't see those as reasons why not to have it, keep it. I like to bring less stuff in the water than more, especially when it's something that serves no purpose.

I like the sternum strap because I can cinch it closed first and it keeps things from shifting and causing pain to tender parts of my body when getting into the harness. Right now, I'm not diving in a dry suit. I find it useful.

I'll think about the issue of the handle as a potential line trap.

redhatmama:
I'll think about the issue of the handle as a potential line trap.

How is it a line trap? Your head/hoses will "snag" before the strap will that is hidden under your wing, pulled tight against the tanks.

Need a pic?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom