Mike versus Turtle straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeS

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
The Halcyon spring straps came in today. I was attempting to follow the instructions to put them on my Turtle fins, got to the point where it says “gently pull apart the buckle frame from the pin ..” The existing buckle frame looks like it could withstand a near miss from a nuclear weapon, gently aren’t going to get it! Any suggestions before I get out the hacksaw?

Mike

When I put the spring straps on my Jet Fins I used 2 vicegrip plyers to carefully break the old strap connector without tearing the rubber.

Good luck!

Matt

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Mike do you need to reuse the "buckle frame and pin?"

No, the spring straps come with new buckle frames and pins. I guess the key is as Matt said to not damage the rubber. It looks as though the original pins were put in a press, flaring the heads. I’m thinking that the safest bet is to use a hacksaw and cut the frames in half, but I’m open to suggestions.

Thanks for the advice. I first used a pair of linemen’s pliers to score the side of the frame. The metal that the frames were made of was interesting, my best guess would be chrome plated aluminum, but that’s kind of bizarre. Then it was relatively easy to twist the corner, where the pin was attached to the frame till it broke.

Now that’s over, I’m wondering; is there an orphanage for all the rubber straps that are displaced by spring straps?

MikeS once bubbled...

No, the spring straps come with new buckle frames and pins. I guess the key is as Matt said to not damage the rubber. It looks as though the original pins were put in a press, flaring the heads. I’m thinking that the safest bet is to use a hacksaw and cut the frames in half, but I’m open to suggestions.
Whatever works...I took a small file and filed off one side of the pin head (the flared part). Then, I used pliers to pop one side of the buckle over the pin and then slide the pin out of the rubber.

I'll second O-ring's suggestion.

When I tried to put on my Halcyon straps I read the first part of their instructions..."Gently pull apart the buckle frame from the pin with a flat tipped screwdriver and a pair of pliers." No way was that gonna work. After some choice four-letter words and some busted knuckles I read on..."If the pin is braded or flared on the outside of the buckle, it may be necessary to file the braded end off the pin to allow removal."

File it...it makes the task very easy. But you won't be able to re-use the pins.

SA

After you assemble the new Halcyon strap you will be suspicious of the pin and buckle connection... looks like the pin can pop out pretty easily, huh? You may be tempted to brad the tips of the pins with a hammer and punch as the instructions suggest. Wait ...don't do it...First make sure that your straps are the right size. I know...that seems obvious. But here is what happened to me and I'll share it so that it might not happen to someone else.

I connected my new Halcyon straps (x-large 12 in.) to my X-large Jetfins. Then I slipped into my drysuit (regular boots-UK size 9) and checked the fit of the fins and straps. They seemed perfect so I went ahead and mushroomed the end of the pins with a hammer and punch. But then I got into the water and discovered that now my fins were way loose and the straps way too long. Now I have a really expensive set of spring straps taht are too long and 'pseudo-permanently' attached to my fins...I can take them off but I don't think that I will be able to exchange them after doing so.

Needless to say, I was disappointed by this particular strap and wouldn't recommend it. It was too expensive and had a less than desirable buckle/pin set up. I'm gonna check out one of those purdy 5th D straps that UP seems so proud of.

SA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom