Might Be Moving To Mobile

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wayward Son

Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like no dive shop there, but there is one iin Gulf Shores.

I know a really good shop in Destin, but that's 2 hrs away.

First interview (phone) went well, will have a 2nd (phone of face to face, to be determined). Anyone close to Mobile? I know there are a few shore dive sites reasonably close by.

I've been there a few times but don't know the city at all.

Think I'd like it there. Close enough to the coast, sea air yadda yadda yadda.

Isn't Gulf Coast in Mobile? Any way I think there are a few around Mobile then they are all up and down the coast.

first interview went well, they think I'm a good fit. Have to do one more with a manager who was out this week.

---------- Post added June 21st, 2013 at 02:54 PM ----------

and they're in Mobile, cool. If this works out I'll soon be at their door with some gear that needs servicing.

first interview went well, they think I'm a good fit. Have to do one more with a manager who was out this week.

and they're in Mobile, cool. If this works out I'll soon be at their door with some gear that needs servicing.

Good luck You will have great diving all around you. And good shops a up and down the Gulf

is there any diving in the bay or do you just have to get to the coast?

Theoretically there may be days that you could dive in Mobile Bay, but they would be few, far-between, and probably not worth the effort to make them. Most of the time it's too murky, and it's often more turbulent than the Gulf. The further East you get from the Mississippi River, the better the diving will be.

Pensacola's the best bet for consistently decent water.

Reactions: Jax

Looking forward to having you down here!

As Hetland said, GCD is a very good shop and is conveniently located. My only complaint with them is over their prices on Nitrox. It's almost $18 for me to fill one of my HP120s. Unfortunately, the next closest shop is 40 minutes away (Daphne) and I believe their prices are pretty much the same. If I can't fill in PCB ($5 EAN @ Panama City Dive Charters), then I try to hit Dive Pros or MBT in Pensacola (about $12-13).

Carl

They have something like at six bottle bank, which they keep at 40% (might be a little less, so don't quote me...) using partial pressure blending. The customer's tank is then partially partial pressure blended using the banked 40% and air. As a result, no O2 cleaning is required.

I want to say that they have to re-blend the nitrox banks a couple of times each week. Their air system has no bank tanks, so your cylinders are filled directly from the compressor. Filling any HP cylinders requires the tank guy to go outside and adjust the compressor's output pressure (no secondary regulation).

As best I can tell, this is not the most efficient fill system. It seems very labor intensive, which I'm sure contributes to the comparatively high price of the gas.

is it banked or do you have to O2 clean your tanks?

I'd really like this to happen :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom