Mer's Annual Kona, Hawaii Daily Trip Reports Jan 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Day 1
Got in late last night, so took a day to get settled, get in a long run, put gear together, go to the gym, visit Costco (don't know what we did in Kona before Costco)... and of course, make the first of many visits to Kona Brewing Company. Those who know me know that I'm not much of a drinker, but six months is a long time to wait for a pint of the best beer on the planet: Lilikoi... if they ever bottle this beer, I'm in serious trouble.

Got my *** kicked on the run - the goal was 5 miles, but 4 miles in 75 deg and humid was just about enough.

Day 2: Suck Em Up and Pipeline
First day on the boat with Dive Tek Hawaii. This boat was already the best dive boat on the Kona coast (IMHO), but the boys did a bunch of work this fall in drydock and Kaha looks amazing... and she's blue now! Good to see Keith, Chuck, Colin and Gerrard... Tim was hiding somewhere in the boat yard today.

Colin delivered his magic of critter finding underwater - within the first five minutes of the first dive he delivered a Hammerhead shark! Of course, I didn't have the camera... typical. The order for the whale shark was placed weeks ago, we'll see if Colin can pull it out this year. Also had three rather friendly White Tip Reef sharks in Suck 'Em Up cave itself... usually these guys take off when you come into the cave, but they were up and around and active and chillin' with us. Colin found a Spanish Dancer and did a little bit of poking for other nudibranchs. Lots of hanging out in the pseudo-caves checking out the sponges.

Second dive at Pipeline after some great surface interval shows put on by a pod of 200+ Spinner dolphins and 3 Humpback whales, including 3 breaches. Pipeline is about a close as you get to wreck diving on the Big Island and we drifted north towards Garden Eel Cove. The hard coral coverage just north of Pipeline is almost 100% and some really pretty formations and a large cowry too.

I promiss I at least TRY to get the camera together for tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom