Megadive Party '04-b

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DEEPSEAWOLF:
don't throw lawyers, (they REALLY hate that one)
And who would want a lawyer thrown at them. I guess Andy you are off the hook now as gator bait - wouldnt you know there is always some technicality to spoil our fun :11:
DEEPSEAWOLF:
NEVER, get in one's way when it's swimming straight at you with its mouth open. He is NOT smiling or asking for directions to his dentist!
Are you telling me you have never gone in for a smooch with a gator, that open mouth thing just means they want a little lovin - how could you resist??? Wouldnt you pucker up if you saw this :jaws: out in the ocean?

Dont you know the gators are on our side in the fight against the otters?

Outcry for public safety along Santa Fe River
High Springs, Florida (AP)
The Santa Fe River area of High Springs, Florida holds much of Florida's natural beauty. It is seen as one of the last unspoiled areas of Central Florida, home to many public boat ramps and crystal clear springs, both public and private. Many daystayers prefer to float downstream on inflatable tubes, called "tubing." This brings much of the tourist revenue to the area, as well as scuba divers and day swimmers.
However, a new tourist has made its home along the banks of the Santa Fe River, the North American River Otter. As was found in Blue Spring just a few short months ago, these animals pose health and safety issues which must be addressed. Two creatures were found to have bitten guests who failed to follow posted park rules on not feeding wildlife.
These two animals, having bitten approximately 12 people, caused the park's closure for nearly a month and cost Gilchrist County part of its tourist revenue due to nasty publicity.
Shortly after Blue Springs' reopening in April, a new threat posed by the furry creatures arrived, the Columbian River Otters. This began a turf war on the banks of the Santa Fe River, not seen since tribes warred in the days predating European Occupations. The new force of otters have come bearing their all. Local law enforcement has been unable to put an end to this newfound threat. The local Division of the Florida Game Commission has lost three boats, two Officers,and a channel marker buoy to the war of the tides.
National Guardsmen from the Ft. Lauderdale Reserve Unit have been called since the downing of a Cub Scout Commuter plane, believed to have been shot down by Rabid Propelled Grenades. Fortunately, no Cub Scouts were injured in the downing of the plane. Claiming responsibility for the vicious assault was The Southern Santa Fe Columbian River Otter Rabid Liberations Brigade. So far, it is believed they may have had involvement in the Blue Springs incident, disguising it to throw a cloud on their introduction into the area. State officials have begun instituting an eradication program, but this may take several years. The Otters on both sides are heavilly armed and well trained in Otter and, River Warfare.
The public has all its hopes resting on the shoulders of our formidable specialized assault units in the Guard Reserves.

Ironic that I mentioned gators being fairly benign at almost the same time the the alligator was attacking in Deltona. I went back to get the kid's name (Malcolm Locke, I believe, 12 years old) but now the story is subscription only at the Miami Herald! I guess I should have cut and pasted it immediately!

Oh well, it will be posted around soon enough!

For those interested, he was swimming when he noticed the gator (7'4", or 2m23 long) swimming towards him with its mouth open. He had just enough time to realize this when the gator latched onto his head. He fought, punched, and made lots of noise, and the gator let loose after a couple of minutes. The attacking gator was destroyed, and it's mate will be trapped and relocated. The injuries were minor considering, and he will be seen today by a plastic surgeon concerning the missing portion of one ear. I guess his parents are thanking God for his thick skull now! :D

So, what is the latest on the get together? I will find a way to get there this time.

In fact, I should be able to get back into diving more often in just a few weeks when I get caught up at my new job. (They were stacked about 3 weeks behind when I started!)

Gibbon:
Just curious adder, Do Steve and Dave dive?
I haven't seen them in a long while.

I just found this thread again and realized I missed this post.

Steve got certified in the early 90's in Lauderdale and never dove again, but keeps talking about it.

David got certified around that same time, and he and I dove a couple of times around 96 or so. i don't know how much he dives.

Mike and I are both Intro, and neither of us dive nearly enough. I hope to remedy that for myself, though.

Is this thread about male bonding, Colombian otters, more male bonding, making fun of Andy?

What party?... Where?... When?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom