Megadive Party '04-b

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious - I've only dived King's Spring and the Three Sisters. What other good scuba sites are in Crystal River?

I love that clear, cool water!
-Grier

CBulla:
Crystal River has a LOT of different possibilities to dive and for camping or lodging. This might sound funny, but I've been considering relocation to that region.

November would be nice.. the manatees are coming back then and the temps are still up in the 80s most days.
You are considering moving solely so that you dont have to pay camping fees or share a pitch with any of us again - i can read between the lines :wink:

GrierHPharmD:
Just curious - I've only dived King's Spring and the Three Sisters. What other good scuba sites are in Crystal River?

I love that clear, cool water!
-Grier
Around the bay there are supposed to be about 7-9 springs, some diveable, some more suited to snorkeling, i have only seen the map once and a few details of them all. Outside of that area, we can hopefully get a pontoon up to Rainbow River (Am Pro or Birds probably easiest) and/or Silver River (Paradise offers that trip) - prices can be investigated. We also have the various cavern options in Williston and Ocala at a cost ($30 a piece - try for discount) and Manatee Springs (up to 35 divers per day, but smaller fee, at that time of year not too bad you can only hope). Dont know of many others around there, but that gives up the option of a couple of dives in the Kings Bay, 2 river drift dives, and some other options on springs, plus plenty of time to party. Again as suggested before we could hire a large mini-bus to make travelling together easy or just caravan between sites, its not all on your doorstep like Ginnie - but it is potentially cheaper and more varied if you use all your options! :wink:

Might make enquires with the various operators about some group discounts at their sites, unless someone beats me to it of course. Would november be a better time, water cooling off and manatees returning, but not the same kind of traffic from the operations in Kings Bay seen in december through february?

Thanks for the info. I've never done Manatee Springs or Silver River. Do you have experience there? Just wondering about the viz, gators, access, etc.

I agree about the pontoon up Rainbow. I did a trip with American Pro there, and it was pretty nice. I've also used a smaller boat operated by Aquamarine Images out of Crytal River. I liked it better because my family was the only group on board, so we got to take plenty of time enjoying the drift.

Maybe we'll finally cross paths there, Simon.

-Grier

don't know about Silver River, but Manatee Springs has two dives: Manatee Springs
and Catfhish Hotel.

MS is a shallow (25 feet max) basin, with a HECK of an outflow. it's hard to make
it to the entrance to the spring the current is so strong. you can play "leaf in the
current" for a while. i usually dive this with the remnants of a tank from....

Catfish Hotel is a nice, big sinkhole, which goes down to about 70 feet or so...
there is a neat cavern to explore, even without lights, and unless you go to the
extreme left, pretty safe (there is a syphon to the left, and if not careful, it can
suck you into the cavern, though i doubt it could overpower you. certainly scare you
a little).

GrierHPharmD:
I've never done Manatee Springs or Silver River. Do you have experience there? Just wondering about the viz, gators, access, etc.

I agree about the pontoon up Rainbow. I did a trip with American Pro there, and it was pretty nice. I've also used a smaller boat operated by Aquamarine Images out of Crytal River. I liked it better because my family was the only group on board, so we got to take plenty of time enjoying the drift.

Maybe we'll finally cross paths there, Simon.
Andy covered Manatee, Silver River i havent done (but i am sure that Paradise does offer a pontoon boat for rent for that), but would like to, it looks a little longer than Rainbow, the viz isnt supposed to be quite as good, but a pontoon boat would sure make a difference compared to canoes :wink: I was thinking a nice 16 seater pontoon boat or two for the Rainbow River and Silver River stuff, so we can all go, i would guess another 20-30 divers for this get-together if we put the word out. Plus we could have snorkelers from non-diving family members.

As for crossing paths, i am down your way for the Keys trip weekend and later in August too, i am sure over some part of those two weekends i can catch up with you and many others in the SE who i havent made it out with yet.

simbrooks:
Who wants to step in and fill DSW's boots for the running of this little event?
I vote for you Simon. Step up to the plate and get your 15 minutes of fame!
Oh, and Crystal River in November sounds great.

Scuba_Jenny:
I vote for you Simon. Step up to the plate and get your 15 minutes of fame!
Oh, and Crystal River in November sounds great.
I cannot run for nor be "president of the dive trip" as i am not an American citizen (however i do like to think of myself as evolving into a diver) - that is my excuse and i am sticking to it. I vote autocracy rather than democracy - someone has to take charge, not be given that mantle by a voting public :wink: Although i have posted a bunch on this thread, you have probably confused my boredom at work and a mind that is intruiged and willing to help, with someone who wants to run the show, take charge and lead this merry event.

However, I think that the place and time do run together quite nicely, just outside the busy season.

I think that:

1. We should name Simbrooks as benevelent dictator of this event
2. He should round up some suspects to make a familiarization dive trip to Crystal Springs soon... OK, Simon.... if you insist, I'll volunteer.
3. He should not pick Oct. 1 - 3 as dates because I can't go then

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom