Meet and Greet Time Again (Gilboa April 28-30, 2006)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NCDiver2004:
I WILL be diving a 3mm....all that I have.....

OMG, he's not kidding!!!!!!

I'll add extra drysuit and 1/4" farmer john and jacket to my list then.

I will be bringing a 7mill scubpro S-Tek semi dry with me as well. This suit has 4 dives on it and it will be for sale at the Meet & Greet. Size is XXl short I am 250lbs and 5'8" would fit someone taller and skinnier.

NCDiver2004:
I WILL be diving a 3mm....all that I have.....

Polly, Ber - we'll probably be camping also - have to check with the guys - depends a little on weather also. Ber - to me, EVERYTHING tastes good - so I'll bring some things....and LOTS of hot chocolate, hot tea, hot coffee, hot water....'cause of the 3 mm

Charlie,
Does that mean you'll be diving a 3mm in NC as well? Am I going to look like a wuss in my dry suit, think undies and chemical heater packs?

Polly

'cuda - No mic will be needed. You'd hear me from 30' under!

Paula - I did say I'd wear a 7mm over the 3mm. But I'm thinking, just for the shock effect (to me as well as the group), I might try the 3mm with a 7mm hooded vest underneath. What d'ya think??

All - It's NCDiver who doesn't have anyting but a 3mm, not me! (I only dive up here - except for a RARE tropical vacation - and I'm not totally crazy!)

Giant stride in - giant stride out!!!

diver_paula:
You did say you'd be putting a 5mm over that 3mm, correct? Do say yes!
I've worn a 3mm at Gilboa several times but usually not until late in the season when the water and air have warmed up. & even then I didn't hang around the tubes very long.
Funny farm is right!
Paula
Paula why is it always so cold at the tubes? I've done them at the end of July and my buddy and I both got small ice chunks in our mouth pieces!!!:06:

Divingnthedark:
Paula why is it always so cold at the tubes? I've done them at the end of July and my buddy and I both got small ice chunks in our mouth pieces!!!:06:

Not from Paula, but the answer would have to do with the location of the spring that fills the quarry. It happens to be in that approximate location. As a result, that part of the quarry is a pretty steady high 30's/low 40's year around. Oh, and at sixty ft. that is still deep enough to compress even the 7mm wetsuits enough for someone to feel cold.

I made the mistake of taking someone down there in a wetsuit when I was wearing a drysuit one day. I was down there a minute longer than they liked and forgot about that "wetsuit compression" issue. I got the "I'm cold" sign in no uncertain terms. Lesson was learned. This is pretty much the coldest part of the quarry.

diverbrian:
Not from Paula, but the answer would have to do with the location of the spring that fills the quarry. It happens to be in that approximate location. As a result, that part of the quarry is a pretty steady high 30's/low 40's year around. Oh, and at sixty ft. that is still deep enough to compress even the 7mm wetsuits enough for someone to feel cold.
I made the mistake of taking someone down there in a wetsuit when I was wearing a drysuit one day. I was down there a minute longer than they liked and forgot about that "wetsuit compression" issue. I got the "I'm cold" sign in no uncertain terms. Lesson was learned. This is pretty much the coldest part of the quarry.

Thanks Brian, I thought that might be the case but I have dove near springs in other places and never been that cold! LOL.. I'm thinking about the uncertain terms "I'm Cold Sign" being more direct and certain.. I can think of several good ways to make it clearly understood LMAO:D

OK...so I start diving in NC a couple of years ago, thinking "I'll never be a cold water diver...did my training in a 62-65 deg quarry in a 3mm shorty, then added the full 3mm later. Problem is, I got so bit with diving, I dove year round in the quarry's with just the 3mm (doubled in the cold sub-60 water). NOW I've moved to WV/OH...so a drysuit is on the very near horizon...just don't have it yet (done the speciality course). Dove Saturday in Mt. Storm Lake, 'bout 60 min in 57 degree water. Water wasn't that cold, but my legs didn't think so and the cramps chased me out - into the 39 degree wind chill overcast day....go figure.

I dove some wrecks off the NC coast late last Aug - supposed to have been mid-70's at bottom, ended up about 69 - in a skin :D .....

Yep, I'm crazy....which is why I know I'm gonna like you guys and gals! Guess I will not see the tubes until 1st weekend in June during the DOG days.....oh - and I'm 5'11" at 285 - so I wear a BIG suit!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom