Meet and Greet Time Again (Gilboa April 28-30, 2006)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never been to Gilboa before, but from what I know, it is a quarry. The most popular quarry by me is $20 a day, with no camping available. There is really nothing near me that is much cheaper, so I am not complaining about the price at Gilboa.

I think what people were looking for in choosing a spot is something that would meet the needs of the most people. I would love the M&G to be at Haigh, since that is nearby for me, but I would never recommend it for this group simply because everyone would have to stay in a motel or in the bushes off the side of the road somewhere. I have done that in my younger hitch hiking days, but would rather not now. At Gilboa, we seem to have some options.

Apparently there are some politics about the place that sets peoples dander up. I am fortunetly blissfully clear of mind on the whole thing, since I haven't been there.

But, if there are better options, maybe some names should be suggested for consideration for our next M&G

Dean810:
I have never been to Gilboa before, but from what I know, it is a quarry. The most popular quarry by me is $20 a day, with no camping available. There is really nothing near me that is much cheaper, so I am not complaining about the price at Gilboa.

I think what people were looking for in choosing a spot is something that would meet the needs of the most people. I would love the M&G to be at Haigh, since that is nearby for me, but I would never recommend it for this group simply because everyone would have to stay in a motel or in the bushes off the side of the road somewhere. I have done that in my younger hitch hiking days, but would rather not now. At Gilboa, we seem to have some options.

Apparently there are some politics about the place that sets peoples dander up. I am fortunetly blissfully clear of mind on the whole thing, since I haven't been there.

But, if there are better options, maybe some names should be suggested for consideration for our next M&G

This issue has come up many times before. It will come up again. Personally, Gilboa doesn't cost me that much. It has the depths that I need to practice deep skills so I am there enough to buy a season pass. But, I know what Ray is talking about.

Someone brought up an interesting point to me recently. I go to Dutch Springs once per year to meet up with my regular dive buddy and get her to try out drysuits. The entry to Dutch is $20 or $22 /day. Night dives are extra. Camping is extra. Try to get any nitrox mix other than EAN32 (which they do prebank) because they do not do custom nitrox mixing. Oh yeah, they close at 5 or 6 pm and don't want you in the water when the staff isn't there. Nice place, but plenty of nickel and diming occurs at Dutch Springs as well.

It will be a welcome conversation to discuss another location. But don't be suprised if we wind up right back at Gilboa.

Hey, how about either me or someone else bring some of those peel and stick name tags so we can identify those of us from the SB? We can put our SB user name on them and be able to put a face to a name. Since I'll be coming up early Fri. and wil be staying until Sat. afternoon, I could pass out name tags as divers come in. What do you think?

We've used those before, you're in charge of it this time. We usually keep a sign in sheet so we know who all was there just for fun!
Ber :lilbunny:

Barracuda2:
Hey, how about either me or someone else bring some of those peel and stick name tags so we can identify those of us from the SB? We can put our SB user name on them and be able to put a face to a name. Since I'll be coming up early Fri. and wil be staying until Sat. afternoon, I could pass out name tags as divers come in. What do you think?

I still have some leftovers from past meet and greets if you dont want to buy any.

gtxl1200:
I still have some leftovers from past meet and greets if you dont want to buy any.

Great! When will you be getting there. I plan on arriving between 10:00 am & 12:00 on Fri. the 28th. I can be there earlier if need be.

PS - Do you guys like sauerkraut with your kielbasa??

Barracuda2:

I just made mine simple.. I am from indy and my name is scott

IndyScott

Well, I finally stumbled across you guys. Good to find a forum full of "local" divers. Not sure if I can make the M&G at the end of April, but I'll sure try.

So ... does everyone use a dry suit that time of year, or do you find that a full 7mm w/ hood will work for you? Don't have a dry suit yet and certainly won't by then. That's not in the budget until next year at the earliest.

Divin'Hoosier:
Well, I finally stumbled across you guys. Good to find a forum full of "local" divers. Not sure if I can make the M&G at the end of April, but I'll sure try.

So ... does everyone use a dry suit that time of year, or do you find that a full 7mm w/ hood will work for you? Don't have a dry suit yet and certainly won't by then. That's not in the budget until next year at the earliest.

I've done it in a 7-mil a couple of years ago, and I thought it went OK.

Is that a bottle of Samuel Smith in your avatar?

-Tiny-B.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom