May I ask?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you compare the medical costs that you will have if you make a mistake, it becomes abundantly clear that buying the best dive computer that you can afford is SMART.:)

You stated your opinion. Can't you let it at that? Two of us don't agree with you so why belabor the point?

When you compare the medical costs that you will have if you make a mistake, it becomes abundantly clear that buying the best dive computer that you can afford is SMART.:)

This to me is a common misconception. First off, a computer is not required for safe diving. A good watch, SPG and a set of tables will keep you more than safe, followed correctly.

Like others have said, if you plan on diving frequently, say at least once a month or more, then buying a computer may help you extend your bottom times but it will not make you any safer. If you only plan on diving occasionally and are not 100% sure you will continue diving, either get a good watch or an simple computer. An expensive, complex computer should be purchased if diving has become a passion and/or you don’t mind spending $500-$800 on one.

When you compare the medical costs that you will have if you make a mistake, it becomes abundantly clear that buying the best dive computer that you can afford is SMART.

Omigod, this is just painful.

What is the BEST computer you can afford? Is it the Liquivision I have, that will handle 10 deco gases? Does a recreational diver really have ANY need for a ten deco gas computer? Is a liberal computer "better" than a conservative one? Is one with a built-in electronic compass "better" than one without (it's certainly more expensive!)

A computer is not life support. A computer is information for you to use to shape your dive. ALL dive computers available nowadays will give you depth and time and some information about your NDLs. Some will handle Nitrox as well. Some are air integrated, either direction or with senders. Some can have their conservativism adjusted by the user. Some have user-replaceable batteries and some have to be shipped to the manufacturer. Some have backlighting. Some have a gauge mode. Some have a stopwatch.

You really have to make some decisions about what kind of diving you are likely to do. If you're never going to use Nitrox (all very shallow dives, for example, or no repetitive diving) you can leave that out. If you're old, display size may become important. If you dive habitually with someone or someones who are using a particular type of computer, it may be easiest to have what they have, so you don't run into algorithm differences.

But to tell somebody, "Buy the BEST computer you can afford," implies that the more you spend, the better off you are, and then to say that going cheap on a computer puts your safety at risk is absurd.

Also...It is my understanding that every diver should have their own computer...for many reasons... How do I know which one is best for me...Every computer seems to have pretty much the same capabilities...with some minor differences and alternate perks to buying a certain product...

I don't think that is nescesarilly true.

The main reason for a dive computer is is to extract the maximum bottom (NDL) time from a multilevel dive profile. For this to be a limitation you need 1 of 3 things:
A combination of depth and time that bring you to the limit. As a new diver you should not be diving at a depth that gives you much chance at hitting that number. Secondly as a new diver your consumption is probably (an assumption on my part) such that even on a deep dive you will be heading up for low air before you are dive table limited.

The third factor that actually begins to justify an early prurchase is heading off for a dive intensive vacation when you intend to make more than 2 dives per day for days on end. On such a trip it may be helpful for a new diver and will certainly liberate you from some paperwork though paper back-up can be handy if the puter craps out.

If you want to get one ASAP you certainly may. My point is that you have plenty of time to do your homework and begin to get some idea what you may really be doing as a diver. For the most part a dive computer worn by a novice is a trivia generator that plots lots of neat stuff but has no real impact on the dive.

My advice, get one that is nitrox capable, skip all forms of integration and wear it where you want it. console, wrist, retarctor or even a hose mount.

To interpret your question another way.... If you going to make computer supported dives then YES it should be your computer that you are counting on. Following on the data of another diver is not prudent.

Pete

Hiya!
I'm a fairly new-ish diver ...I do have some of my own gear...basics: mask, fins, snorkel, boots,light, knife, old BCD, primary and secondary ScubaPro Octopus...
However I want to get more into diving...

I was thinking it might be a good idea to rent most equipment (suit, gauges, weights, tanks) in order to get a better understanding of what works best for me... Good idea?

Also...It is my understanding that every diver should have their own computer...for many reasons... How do I know which one is best for me...Every computer seems to have pretty much the same capabilities...with some minor differences and alternate perks to buying a certain product...
There is a lot of information to swallow all at once...all with a heavy price tag..I just want to know I am/will be making the right choices..any advice offered is much appreciated!

That's a great idea.... I never did that because I was trained on a BP/W system which worked perfectly for me, but go for it if you're unsure. Be sure to try a backplate wing system. As to the computer, most divers have one, though I have no idea what mode they use it on. I have one, and it rarely hits a gas mode unless I'm doing nitrox. Usually I leave it on Gauge Mode (Bottom Timer).

Hope that helps.
Taylor
Vicdiver656

Depends. If you dive 10-20 times in a year you could have owned your equipment vs. trying various rental equipment.

This is true, and indeed I made about 20-25 dives before buying any real equipment. However, I do believe that renting, and then buying what you really want, is still cheaper in the end than purchasing twice (or more).

It's always a good question, whether it is better to buy or rent. On the one hand, what I paid for my drysuit, I would have spent in ten dives for a rental. And having the drysuit made it much easier for me to dive more, and more spontaneously. I suppose I also put more dives on my original BC than it would have cost me to rent one, although the original one didn't last long (40 dives) before it was replaced (and I got VERY little of its value back in selling it).

On the other hand, having my own gear helped me dive more, and get exposed to more people and more equipment and more diving styles, and in the long run was a good investment. That wasn't apparently, though (especially to my husband, when I replaced almost everything I had bought six months later :)

Hiya!
I'm a fairly new-ish diver ...I do have some of my own gear...basics: mask, fins, snorkel, boots,light, knife, old BCD, primary and secondary ScubaPro Octopus...
However I want to get more into diving...

There is a lot of information to swallow all at once...all with a heavy price tag..I just want to know I am/will be making the right choices..any advice offered is much appreciated!

@diverparrott: You've got a good start on having your own equipment. At this stage, if I were you, I wouldn't be in a great hurry to purchase dive equipment. Probably the best advice I could give you is to get out there, find some buddies, and dive! Join a dive club and/or slowly grow your circle of dive friends. I really liked reading Pete's thoughts on dive opportunities and buddies. As you meet more local divers, you'll be able to ask their opinions regarding gear...and perhaps they'll let you try out the stuff for free. :D

I would suggest renting until you are sure that you can't dive enough and getting to a shop to rent is too big a hassle, and rent different styles and brands of equipment, until you find the ones that you are most comfortable and happy with underwater. As far as a dive computer, expense doesn't give safety, common sense does. A computer will go a long way to help you dive within the ndl limits, but nothing replaces a good dive plan and sticking to it, and that you can do with tables, a watch and gauges, now that being said, I have dove with 4-5 different brands of computers, and what I tell students, is even if you are not planning to take a nitrox class now, you don't know what athe future holds, and having a computer that is nitrox compatible even if you aren't yet, isn't a bad idea, also with a computer, as other gear there are bells and whistles, and things you love, and things you don't love with almost all of them. the best advice I can give, dive often, extend your comfort in the water by diving more, and always, plan your dive, and dive your plan!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom