May I ask?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gosh, You have all been so helpful and insightful..Thank you!

There is alot still to ponder...at least now the webs of thoughts have some general direction and even a little guidance!

I can't beleive it is that easy to ask a question here and get such response, SB seems a legit way to communicate...other than actual conversations in person/at dive club, etc.

Thanks again!

Wow, recreational dive computer failure, who would have thunk it?

If my BT fails, I have a fifteen dollar watch as backup. I've never had the BT fail so maybe I'm lucky.

Some of you people are going way overboard with the computer for rec dives.

Here's another way to think about this: You paid $4000.00 for a live aboard trip. If you only have one computer (and it fails) you have sit out 24 hrs and then dive tables. Since you probably went with someone else you paid $8000 for the trip really.

What's wrong with making sure you get your money's worth?

By the same rationale you proposed, owning your own gear never makes sense either. If you rent, you always get serviced gear, and you never have to pay baggage fees, or pay the upfront cost of owning it.

Local divers (maybe) can get by with one computer, because any gear failure that ends the dive only costs them time. But realistically no one actually stops diving when their computer fails, so now you are just rolling the dice.

Just out of curiosity NEREAS...what do you do when one of the two computers you have starts telling you something different from the other for your DECO schedule? DO you go "hmmm this one is my pink one so I'll go with it".....

I would recommend that you take that $2000, not spend it on computers, which can fail and instead buy 2 x bottom timers for 300 bucks and spend the extra 1700 dollars on a quality course that includes decompression theory and practical application.....so that you do not have to DEPEND on a piece of equiopment that tells you what you should be doing....but instead on your own BRAIN.

Sarcasm Alert: Yeah because divers always make good decisions underwater. Wait, no they don't.

Seriously though, taking a course does not teach you anything about decompression theory. It teaches you how to use tables. The guys at Kuakini cutting up pigs will tell you there's not much to teach about decompression theory. It's nothing more than an accumulation of empirical data. There's a lot more validity to any commercial diving computer's calculations than there are for any tables becuase more people use computers than use tables. And since decompression 'theory' is nothing more than an accumulation of empirical data, more data = more validity.

I have a dive computer and I like it. I also haul along a watch, depth gauge, and tables. Either 'system' can fail. It is highly unlikely that both will fail on the same dive.

Annoying anecdote:
My dive buddy bought a computer before I did. He wanted the newest and most impressive unit he could find, regardless of cost. I must admit that he achieved his goal. His new computer was air integrated, had three different data screens and provided all the information a diver could ever hope to want.

We went diving for shrimp in Puget Sound. It was night, deep, and cold. Somewhat narced, we both looked at his computer and the only thing that made sense to us (at the time) was the tank pressure reading. As I said, we were narced.

Two weeks later, I bought a dive computer. I bought the simplest one I could find with color coded graphs. Even narced, I can read a pressure gauge and can remember that green is good, yellow is not so good, and red is bad.

On our next shrimp dive, it became apparent that only one of us had made an appropriate choice. He kept looking at my computer to make sure we were still in the green. He had paid four times what I had and there was no question about it, his computer provided far more information than mine. However, for that type of diving, I had the better unit.

I'm not knocking the fancy dive computers. I'm just saying that the most expensive or most complex might not always be the very best choice for a particular person's diving. In my opinion, buying a dive computer is more an exercise in procuring the proper tool for the task at hand. It would be foolish to expect my little cheapie to serve someone on trimix. On the other hand, when I am narced I want a computer that is childishly simple and reliable.

My only concern with new divers is that they don't become complascent and expect a computer to do their thinking for them.

Bill.

I do believe that was most insightful and helpful advice yet!
Thank you for sharing the experience with me

Back
Top Bottom