May I ask?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess everyone who dove before computers is lucky to still be alive.

I don't use a computer but I think I have brain damage. I continue to spend money on this sport/hobby/obsession. See? I don't even know what to call it. I'm assuming that's because I don't use a computer. :D

Ken, tha's the first laugh of the day. Thanks!

Between the two of them, I have two of them.

And two of everything is a good law of scuba diving.

Especially when your life depends on something.

To be honest, I fail to see the need for redundant computers on a recreational dive.

On a deco dive I carry redundant BT's/computers. If one of my redundant BT's/computers failed I'd call the dive & deco out using my BT & tables. In this situation redundancy is necessary.

On a rec. dive I use a single cylinder, with 1 reg. & 1 computer. If the computer fails I'd call the dive & make a controlled ascent. You don't require redundant computers to do a rec. dive safely.

Hiya!
I'm a fairly new-ish diver ...I do have some of my own gear...basics: mask, fins, snorkel, boots,light, knife, old BCD, primary and secondary ScubaPro Octopus...
However I want to get more into diving...

I was thinking it might be a good idea to rent most equipment (suit, gauges, weights, tanks) in order to get a better understanding of what works best for me... Good idea?
You already have most equipment, more than basics. The things that people recommend renting, learning and trying more before you buy, you already have, in particular a BC. You may want a new BC sometime, but no need to rush since you have something.

Suit? Renting suits is not going to tell you what works best for you, because most rental suits are cheaper, beat up and crappy. You probably know by now what thickness you need where you're diving. Read up on what's available, try a bunch on, get one that fits and you're good to go.

Gauges? Gauges are pretty much gauges. You have a reg, it's a pain to rent just gauges and put them on, so get something. I guess the decision here is whether to get a computer and what type. Personally, unless you're looking to spend a bunch of money on toys (nothing wrong with that but it's not necessarily "better") I would get an analog pressure gauge and a entry level nitrox computer and you will be set for quite some time. You would want to decide before buying a console if the computer goes in there or you wear it on your wrist, there are arguments for both ways. If your budget is really tight get an analog depth gauge instead of the computer.

If you're diving locally, by all means buy the weights you need. All you need is a decent idea of how much and what sizes you like, which you probably do if you've done any dives at all.

Tanks - tanks may be a good thing to rent for now. There are lots of old threads around here that describe the pros and cons of owning your own tanks so I won't repeat them here.
Also...It is my understanding that every diver should have their own computer...for many reasons... How do I know which one is best for me...Every computer seems to have pretty much the same capabilities...with some minor differences and alternate perks to buying a certain product...
"every diver should have their own computer" is not saying that every diver must have a computer. It's saying if you are diving a computer, you and your buddy should each have your own and not share one. Computers can be very useful for some people, they are for me. But they're not required and not inherently more or less safe then diving tables.

Well, if he can afford $1000 for a Nitek HE for 7 gasses including helium, that may save him $500 later when he finds out his nitrox or air computer was not good enough for tech classes.

So, yah, buy the best one that you can afford.

What I had in mind, however, with the original statement, is a SUUNTO for around $450.

[You're never going to need 10 deco gasses, TSM. 6 total is plenty for the maximum MOD for O/C.]

Just out of curiosity NEREAS...what do you do when one of the two computers you have starts telling you something different from the other for your DECO schedule? DO you go "hmmm this one is my pink one so I'll go with it".....

I would recommend that you take that $2000, not spend it on computers, which can fail and instead buy 2 x bottom timers for 300 bucks and spend the extra 1700 dollars on a quality course that includes decompression theory and practical application.....so that you do not have to DEPEND on a piece of equiopment that tells you what you should be doing....but instead on your own BRAIN.

To be honest, I fail to see the need for redundant computers on a recreational dive.

On a deco dive I carry redundant BT's/computers. If one of my redundant BT's/computers failed I'd call the dive & deco out using my BT & tables. In this situation redundancy is necessary.

On a rec. dive I use a single cylinder, with 1 reg. & 1 computer. If the computer fails I'd call the dive & make a controlled ascent. You don't require redundant computers to do a rec. dive safely.
Interesting point of view. It made me re-think why I always carry two computers with me.

I got in the habit because of multi-day / multiple dives per day excursions. ( recreational ) I have had computers fail on vacation and have reverted to my backup. That let me enjoy the rest of the dives for the day. When I do a single shore dive from home, I carry two just because that is the way my rig is set up and I don't have to think.

Yes - dive computers may be a lot more rugged than they used to be - but if I am going to be doing multiple dives per day, for multiple days - I think carrying a backup makes sense. For a single dive ( assuming you have a separate bottom timer to time your safety stop) I probably agree with you. Of course that doesn't mean that I am likely to change my rig.

Wow, recreational dive computer failure, who would have thunk it?

If my BT fails, I have a fifteen dollar watch as backup. I've never had the BT fail so maybe I'm lucky.

Some of you people are going way overboard with the computer for rec dives.

No need for computer in the beginning. Get your own exposure protection instead of renting as your first "own" thing from the list of missing items instead.

Back
Top Bottom