May I ask?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverparrott - Don't over think it. It's a simple purchase really.

TSandM gave a pretty good discription of some of the differences in computers. Understand those differences and pick the one you like that's in your price range and don't give it another thought.

Don't know why people want to over complicate things??? Everyone knows a computer isn't required. Everyone knows they make life easier.

Diving with a bottom timer and dive tables isn't any safer unless someone is trying to factor in the highly unlikely chance of a malfunction causing the unit to give false readings. Highly unlikely!!! Probably less likely than someone reading the table wrong and/or having their bottom timer flake out.

I use an Oceanic ProPlus, air integrated, w/compass and I love it. If I was buying a new one I would probably go with the Oceanic VT3 w/transmitter. I like the air integrated because it eliminates a hose and an SPG. SPG's are just another device that can fail. Oceanic... no particular reason other than I like their units, they have the features I want/need and I trust them. I would recommend Nitrox capable in any of the brands.

There's a lot of good manufacturers and good units. No magic and no mystery to it... buying a computer should be a pretty simple purchase. If you like your LDS and figure you'll be using them for some time to come I'd probably buy one of the brands they carry but that assumes they know the computer themselves. If they don't really know the computer so you can ask for help/advice if you need it then buy on-line and save some money.

Omigod, this is just painful.

What is the BEST computer you can afford? Is it the Liquivision I have, that will handle 10 deco gases? Does a recreational diver really have ANY need for a ten deco gas computer? Is a liberal computer "better" than a conservative one? Is one with a built-in electronic compass "better" than one without (it's certainly more expensive!)

A computer is not life support. A computer is information for you to use to shape your dive. ALL dive computers available nowadays will give you depth and time and some information about your NDLs. Some will handle Nitrox as well. Some are air integrated, either direction or with senders. Some can have their conservativism adjusted by the user. Some have user-replaceable batteries and some have to be shipped to the manufacturer. Some have backlighting. Some have a gauge mode. Some have a stopwatch.

You really have to make some decisions about what kind of diving you are likely to do. If you're never going to use Nitrox (all very shallow dives, for example, or no repetitive diving) you can leave that out. If you're old, display size may become important. If you dive habitually with someone or someones who are using a particular type of computer, it may be easiest to have what they have, so you don't run into algorithm differences.

But to tell somebody, "Buy the BEST computer you can afford," implies that the more you spend, the better off you are, and then to say that going cheap on a computer puts your safety at risk is absurd.

Well, if he can afford $1000 for a Nitek HE for 7 gasses including helium, that may save him $500 later when he finds out his nitrox or air computer was not good enough for tech classes.

So, yah, buy the best one that you can afford.

What I had in mind, however, with the original statement, is a SUUNTO for around $450.

[You're never going to need 10 deco gasses, TSM. 6 total is plenty for the maximum MOD for O/C.]

You stated your opinion. Can't you let it at that? Two of us don't agree with you so why belabor the point?

No, he can't leave it at that. Nereas thinks he's the font from which all scuba knowledge flows. That's why he's on my ignore list.

Re the computer question. There is one thing about computers that is fundamentally different from any other piece of dive equipment you will purchase - and that is that if you get serious about the sport, you will end up diving with two just in case the first one dies on you. ( well ok - I guess you could say the same thing about cutting implements and get a Knife and shears).

What this means is that you can ( if you decide to use a computer instead of tables - which I prefer ) get one now, and be fairly confident that you are not throwing away money. If you get serious about the sport, your first computer becomes your backup, and you have not 'wasted' money.

John Chenault

Not likely. Especially for a new diver. Because human error then becomes the most likely outcome.

Guess I got lucky my 1st 900 dives..............what would have used in the mid 80's & before?---just curious......

Guess I got lucky my 1st 900 dives..............what would have used in the mid 80's & before?---just curious......

Ditto. Me too. :D :D

I just began using a computer this year. I enjoy using it, it's a cool new "toy", but not required. As others have said, countless safe dives have been made with nothing more than a depth guage and wrist watch... that's all I used (and USN dive tables) for deco dives in the mid-70's.

I guess I was "lucky" too!!

To The OP: I think you are thinking along the correct lines. Renting is just fine until you decide on what you want and need for the type of diving you like to do. Have fun!

Safe Diving (with or without computers :D )!

Re the computer question. There is one thing about computers that is fundamentally different from any other piece of dive equipment you will purchase - and that is that if you get serious about the sport, you will end up diving with two just in case the first one dies on you. ( well ok - I guess you could say the same thing about cutting implements and get a Knife and shears).

What this means is that you can ( if you decide to use a computer instead of tables - which I prefer ) get one now, and be fairly confident that you are not throwing away money. If you get serious about the sport, your first computer becomes your backup, and you have not 'wasted' money.

John Chenault

Although if you get a cheap one you would be throwing away money, thus I recommend getting the best one that you can afford. And a SUUNTO if possible.

Cheap ones malfunction more likely and break more easily.

My SUUNTO is a rock. Indestructible.

My Nitek HE is fragile, and costs $1000 new. I protect it like a precious egg.

Between the two of them, I have two of them.

And two of everything is a good law of scuba diving.

Especially when your life depends on something.

Well there are freak exceptions to even Darwin's "laws.":eyebrow:

Well, you didn't answer my question......I'm still curious...:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom