Maui - split fins or blades?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

river_sand_bar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Heading to the island for some relaxation.... doing both shore and boat dives... should I bring my split fins or my blades or my jet fins??

Any suggestions would be awesome

Bring what you enjoy diving. My blades and fins have been placed in a swap meet and placed in a loving caring home so I no longer have to deal with them :)

Wasn't too sure if there were any strong currents that would warrant the splits un-capable to handle... was thinking about the the Back Wall of Molokini and from my understanding there is a strong current there.

If there is a current on the backside of Molokini (usually), we drift with it. Considering the conditioning of most vacation divers, very few dives go into more than a mild current. There are a few cavern dives where blades or jets theoretically might rototill less. If there is surge through a lava tube, there are moments of strong force in both directions.

river_sand_bar:
Wasn't too sure if there were any strong currents that would warrant the splits un-capable to handle... was thinking about the the Back Wall of Molokini and from my understanding there is a strong current there.

No, but there might be currents where the splits are incapable. :wink:

Thanks GUYS... then the splits will go in the bag... they really are soooo much more comfortable to dive with.

If you'd like to compare the new Morfin American Delfins with your splits, I have a few pairs that I use on my shore dives. They really are amazing fins. I'd be happy to let you try a pair.

Everytime I travel to the islands my buddy brings his blades and I bring my splits. I like the splits for comfort and snorkeling (I can pretty much hover forever without having to do any work), he likes his blades for speed and they work just fine snorkeling too, with a little more effort. If you prefer the feels of splits, I'd bring those. Should save you some weight too.

I used my splits both for cancun, caverns, cozumel and snorkling just last week, and I quite honestly cant say I had any more issues than the ones using other types of fins..
And for those whos gonna say "but you silted more", sorry, I didnt silt most either..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom