maui!!! here we come!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deputydan1

Contributor
Reaction score
staying at the prince hotel in makena...

anyone been there before?? any comments?

never knew it was so busy in maui at chrismas time!!!

any pointers for me and the wife while in maui? ie. must do's and must sees...and must do dive sites? eats?

any and all info helps!

thanks!!

alohhhhhhhhhaaaaaaa!

-dan

ps> do we need wetsuits??? or are skins ok?? has the water been warm and clear lately??

mohalo.

-dan

We just go back this week. The water viz is excellent the air temp was about 82 water temp 79. We wore wet suits 3/2 mm and were comfortable. The temp on our deepest dive of 119' was 79 so diving should be good! Viz depends on if it rains or not. Do a night dive with the manta rae's (spelling ?) they are excellent!!! just sit at the bottom and watch them something you cannot miss. Let me know what you think....Have fun..! save money and eat/shop where the locals go. Drive out of the tourist area and you will find prices much cheaper....

deputydan1:
ps> do we need wetsuits??? or are skins ok?? has the water been warm and clear lately??

mohalo.

-dan
Hey Dan,

I'm currently diving a 1/2 mil suit (titanium coated) with a hood and gloves. I'm about to put my 3mil over top. water has been 76-79 lately.

But what you'll need depends more on you than anything else I guess.

hope that helps a bit'

Aloha, Tim

P.S. Everyone I know dives at least a 3 mil shorty, most have 3 or 5mil full suits.

I would use a 3 mil this time of year. If I were as lucky as you to be spending this time of year on Maui I'd spend lots of time diving hte backwall of Molokini with B&B Scuba until the funds ran out :)

chris hecker:
we are coming over in feb? I need some suggestions, Im not bringing my drysuit!@!!

I think you will need at least a 3mm shorty in Feb. The water temp will likely be around 72 to 74.
But then again I see you are from Minnesota so you may be able to get away with just swim trunks!

deputydan1:
staying at the prince hotel in makena...

anyone been there before?? any comments?

never knew it was so busy in maui at chrismas time!!!

any pointers for me and the wife while in maui? ie. must do's and must sees...and must do dive sites? eats?

any and all info helps!

thanks!!

alohhhhhhhhhaaaaaaa!

-dan

The Maui Prince is the last hotel South in the Makena area. You will be the farthest from restaurants etc. but also away from the blunt of the crowds. You need a rental car to get around. I assume you already have one. If not do so immediately as they are all rented during that week.

You will be close to several good shore diving spots. This book is the best shore dive guide for Maui.

The week between Christmas and New Years is the most crowded time of the year on Maui.

You may want to view my dive info and diving opinions about Maui here

If you have a need for guided shore dives contact "Shaka Doug" who frequents this forum.

wow!

thanks for the abundance of info!
will have to rent some suits, i suppose!

ps> is it THAT crowded during that week? will we be disappointed from all the crowds?

pss> great links.........thanks.

-dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom