maui!!! here we come!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure about the locations for the aow class. I suppose it depends on the instructor...though it is really tough to get deeper than 45' on almost all the shore dives around Kihei (the closest shore dive that goes deeper is Scenic Lookout, to my knowledge), so I think you'd have to do Molokini at least for your deep dive. I'd contact either B & B (Al provided a link) or Ed Robinson for specifics.

deputydan1:
lol!
great info. thanks for letting us know! phew!!

do you know if there are good snorkeling sites near the maui prince?

sorry for all the questions, all!! we're so excited to go!

I mentioned the snorkeling in front of your hotel in a previous post on this thread.

Maui Dreams does not have their own boat. They have to farm you off to a charter boat. The way that often works here is the student pays for the boat dive in the price of the class and the Instructor goes for a cut rate (which the student is also paying for). That may not be possible at the time of year you are here as the boats are booked. They may not take an Instructor at a cut rate when they can fill the boat with full paying customers.

At Dolphin Plaza shops in Kihei across from Kamaole Beach Park II there is a little Mexican restaurant in the back corner out of street view. It is called Enriques. Don't be fooled by its appearance as the food is great. Try the Mahi Mahi Mexicana plate.

That sounds awesome!
thanks, Gil.

We are set for diving with Ed Robinson's! We're going to molokini crater....
are the cathedrals a must see!? that looked so pretty in the pics..

thanks!

-=dan

While I prefer Molokini, the Cathedrals, IMO, are worth the trip. Be prepared for a long, very rough, very wet, ride. If you get seasick, start taking your meds the day before. There were several people on our boat feeding the fish. I rarely get seasick and I felt a little woozy on the return trip.

Most of the ops will offer you raingear for the trip over and back. I would put them on. It gets really windy, and you'll get soaked quickly, which can get you chilled before you even get in the water.

They are cool dives though. Have fun!

I've done the cathedrals a couple of times and found it to be less than what I expected but it was still a good dive.

thanks again.

do the cathedrals compare to the palancar reefs at cozumel?

-dan

deputydan1:
thanks again.

do the cathedrals compare to the palancar reefs at cozumel?

-dan

NOPE.

If you do the Cathedrals I think you should go with a boat out of Lahaina as the boat ride is shorter. The car ride is longer. Aslo, be aware that if the channel is too rough between Lanai and Maui for the crossing to Lanai you may be taken to an alternate dive site off Maui.

IMHO Molokini is better than the Cathedrals.

deputydan1:
so! cozumel is better??
Different, better, variety is the spice of life.... take your pick of one of the above.

Cozumel has an abundance of soft stuff like gorgonians, sea fans, barrel sponges, etc. that is pretty much missing in Hawaii. Maui has a much more bare, hard coral look.

The Cathedrals at Lanai are lava formations, not the massive coral formations of Santa Rosa and Palancar in Cozumel.

I love Maui. I live and dive in Maui a few months every year. But I still get to Cozumel every year or two.

Edit: add link to my reply when you asked the same question back in July.
------------------

What day(s) are you booked onto Ed Robinsons? I might join you.

Charlie

Great points....well taken...

we're going to dive 12/23! can't wait!!! doing a night dive on the 24th...a christmas eve to remember i am sure!!

-dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom