Maui Dive Shop.... a joke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard:
4200 LB tanks fills from a LDS? Ya right. Maybe your looking at the CO2 tanks for the soda machine? That would explain the CO2 concerns.

yes 4200 from my LDS, thats only if we use the nitrox whip because it doesnt have a stop at 4000 on it.

Its not like the tanks cant handle it.

I dont usually run nitrox so my tanks are usally at 4000 but in the rare instance if we bored we will take the time to fill it with nitrox.

I cant believe your suprised. Its a dive shop run by dive bums...... they do alot of "unconventional" "possibly a little dangerous" stuff.

Ive never heard of anyone getting fined. But at my LDS they dont over fill tanks for people who they do not know.

Only the regulars that spend time and money in the shop get the "good fills" because we dive with eachother!

I sure as hell am not going to turn them in!

So do they put new hydro stamps on your tanks after those fills? I'm throwing the BS flag on this one...

Besides the wear and tear on your tanks, your regs are going to be shot. I'm all for a couple of hundred over, but 1000 over... you are asking for trouble. Try not being a cheap ******* and just buy a bigger tank if you need all that air.

So, it's reasonable to assume these are hp/din rigs, what's the tanks/regs rated for and what does a 4200 fill cool down to?

MDS was great when I went. Dive Maui sucked with a capital S. The guy seemed to really hate his job and people in general. We asked where they go and he said "we go 3 places Lani Lani and Lani. So if I ask you where do we go what will you say"? Strike one. We asked what the weather looked like for the next few days Marine forcast and such. He said "I don't try to pedict the weather I'm not a weather man". Strike 2. We asked if they had weights. He said only lead. We asked if they had clip weights. He said we have lead weights. We asked are they soft weights (lead weight in a pouch) he said ask me that question again and I swear to God I'll give you the same answer. Stike 3.

uspap:
Dive Maui sucked with a capital S. The guy seemed to really hate his job and people in general. We asked where they go and he said "we go 3 places Lani Lani and Lani.
There are a few different companies with similar names. Is the one you are posting about also known as Hawaiian Rafting, runs a rigid hull inflatable without a head, and has an office near the Cannery Mall?

Did you partially degear before reboarding the boat?

I think that is the place. We never went out with them. It was a small shack and I think it was near the mall. After strike 3 we left and did 3 boat dives with MDS. We did Cathedrals, Molokini Crater and 2 drift dives on the back wall. Very awesome. We are going back at the end of April.

I have personally, many times (ok when I say many that's about 5) seen fills that approached 4K or were 4K+ (after being cooled down). Just because it is uncommon in Hawaii doesn't mean it isn't done elsewhere.

I was curious about a 5 page thread on MDS, but I see a lot of the last posts are about fills...lol.
Anyway, to put in my own 2 cents... We got 10-fill cards from MDS to shore dive. I figured that would be most convenient since they are all over the place. So we went into at least 4 locations, and had a very different experience in each, which also varied day to day depending on the staff.
They absolutely do hire some people who are totally, 100% clueless. We had very similar experiences as the original poster regarding complete lack of knowledge as to tanks and gear, where we gave each other "that look" <yikes - where did they find this guy!> As Tim mentioned way back... they come for a job, as MDS does a work to learn to dive program. So yes, some of the shop staff may not even be certified! It could be a bit scary for new divers... talk about the blind leading the blind!!! The shop in the mall in Lahaina was the worst for service, and they were often out of tanks.
However, that said, we also met some staff members who were very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable (they probably all moved on... lol)
Are there shops that are more highly regarded in Maui, yes... absolutely... but...
We also did their 3 tank trip to Molokini and their 2 tank Lanai trip, and had an awesome time on both... but that could be because of the sharks and turtles and octopus and dolphins and.....

btw... hi there Tim... good to see you still here giving advice on Maui :)
We're going back to Jamaica to get married in Jan!.... but I've gotta say... Jamaica is awesome, but the diving was sure better in Maui :) I miss all the turtles!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom