Maui Dive Shop.... a joke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am confused at why people are saying this is BS.....

Its a HP100 grated to 3495 or something like that. 500 over or 700 over is not much. I have heard people bumping their low pressure thanks 2800psi to over 4500. I have not seen it but only heard it is done. (Cave fills as they call it). Now this is with a 5000 or higher burst disk put in.

But I dont know what to tell you people that dont believe me. Every single air fill i get is to 4000 when i go to my LDS.

It obiously does nothing to my reg because i just put it through its 2nd year of service. Scubapro S600/MK25. And it passed with flying colors!

So boosting it up to 4000 does nothing to my reg.

Im not the only one that does this. All the guys that dive out of that shop bump their HP tanks to 4000, most of them have 10 times as many dives as i have.

Whats the worst that can happen? Burst disk goes????? wow. Ive never seen it, and only heard about it once on a LP tank going over the burst disk rating. (so im not suprised it went)

That 4000 and 4200 are cooled down, we usually tank our time filling tanks and give them a bath in the mean time.

Steve: BS or not, I think what you're being told is that it is ultimately imprudent, and certainly not the standard.

Over here, most fills are to ~3000 psi. Oftentimes the gauges (that they use before letting the tank out the door as "full") in the shops will be off by up to 10%, as they get a lot of use and are sometimes dropped.

If *anyone* gave me a tank whose working pressure was 3000psi, yet it was filled to 4000 (or higher), I'd be first, double checking the reading (to make sure it wasn't a bad gauge), then second calling up the regulating bodies, including OSHA... filling tanks to greater than their rated pressure is most likely to have issue at the fill station, which could put employees lives in jeopardy.

Furthermore, the jury is still out on the tank bath method. There are several reasons why this is A Bad Idea, and only one that makes it an OK idea...

FoSheZZie23:
But I dont know what to tell you people that dont believe me. Every single air fill i get is to 4000 when i go to my LDS.

It obiously does nothing to my reg because i just put it through its 2nd year of service. Scubapro S600/MK25. And it passed with flying colors!

When that baby blows, and it's going to, you'll discover that the yearly service didn't help it a bit. That Mk25 is not rated to use tanks at 4000. Are you using a din valve?

kidspot:
hmm - maybe that's why I have not heard back from them on if my warrantied Jetfins have come back from Scubapro - time to give them a call again I guess :wink:

thx for the info Kris

Kidspot its not really my area, but if you need help on the warranty I will gladly follow up on that.

Kris where did you settle down at? Its been awhile since Ive been on board.

I'm not sure where all this disbelief comes from regarding overfilling tanks. In many areas, particularly north florida it is common for low pressure steel tanks to be filled to at least 3700psi. 4100psi if the shop knows you or you ask. I have not heard of anyone that would fill aluminum tanks over about 3300 psi which is probably a good thing. If you take steel tanks to north florida you should have them double disked because they are going to get filled to at least 3700. There have been no failures of steel tanks due to overfilling.

Happy fills

Firemedic, you think the overfill myth is funny, ask them what they think of wearing gloves.....:rofl3:
I don't think they are exposed much to LP or HP steels all that much apparently.
I am MUCH more apt to get pissed on a short fill, if I am renting a tank. I really expect a 3200psi fill on a AL80 if I'm renting, or I'm gonna ask you to bump it. I got tired of going to my LDS and guaging 20 tanks in order to find 2 that were 2800, let alone 3000.......I fill my own tanks now, but will be back to the mercy of an LDS in a few months, guess I'll just have to get on their good side so I can do my own fills, or get my own Compressor

[hijack]
Thanks for the offer Mike, I'll let you know - I just got off the phone with MDS and they said "I thought you already picked those up?" nope ... where are they? "we'll get back to you" so it looks like I'll wait a little longer - at least someone is looking into it for me though.

I'd kind of forgotten about them the past 6 weeks, up till then I'd been dropping in or calling every couple of weeks but they hadn't come back yet.

Aloha, Tim [/hijack]

makomike:
Kidspot its not really my area, but if you need help on the warranty I will gladly follow up on that.

Hey Mike...

Yeah, I'm doing some independent instruction, and also getting some experience with Scuba Luv Maui (Steve Madaras) at the Maui Prince and Wailea Marriott.

Haven't seen you at the beach in a while... not sure why!

Ulua was awesome today... really clear, and a couple mantas!

FoSheZZie23:
I am confused at why people are saying this is BS.....

Its a HP100 grated to 3495 or something like that. 500 over or 700 over is not much. I have heard people bumping their low pressure thanks 2800psi to over 4500. I have not seen it but only heard it is done. (Cave fills as they call it). Now this is with a 5000 or higher burst disk put in.

Im not the only one that does this. All the guys that dive out of that shop bump their HP tanks to 4000, most of them have 10 times as many dives as i have.

Whats the worst that can happen? Burst disk goes????? wow. Ive never seen it, and only heard about it once on a LP tank going over the burst disk rating. (so im not suprised it went)

That 4000 and 4200 are cooled down, we usually tank our time filling tanks and give them a bath in the mean time.

Please...you're killing me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom