Maui Dive Shop.... a joke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FoSheZZie23:
So all in all, i know all of these thinks are little and probably dont matter but it just irritates me. I would never have gotten a ****ty fill or a dumb *** worker at my LDS in Washington.

**** i dont know a ton about diving and i could run circles around this guy!
Try B&B or Maui Dreams in the future, unless you enjoy going into MDS and feeling superior. The guys at those other shops "know a ton about diving and could run circles around" you, but are too nice of people to do so.

MDS is a large shop with many branches and many employees. Many of them simply babysit the store, book activities, and run the register. The guy you ran into may be inexperienced and not fully trained, but I doubt that he's a "dumb ***".

You're on Maui. Chill a bit and find the aloha spirit. :)

FoSheZZie23:
So I went to get a tank for a dive tomorrow morning. Unfortunatly maui dive shop was the only place open at 8pm. The guy working there should not be employed in a dive shop anyware.

1) I asked if they had steel or alum tanks. he said they had steel and brought one out for me, a steel 80 he said, and i said well that looks like an alum to me, and he then said no its a steel. Not that it matters to much but it said AL on the side of the damn tank! You would think a dive shop worker would know the difference.

2) I asked if they had any DIN tanks in the back i could rent and he said "no" and then i said oh ok and he returned with "well whats a DIN tank?" and i said it has a different valve than that one (which i pointed to the alum 80 in front of me) and he said oh.

3) He checked the pressure of the tank he was going to give me and it read out 2800, and he asked want me to get another, and i said sure if you dont mind, and i asked him what they normally fill them up to and he said 3200psi. So the second comes out reading 2800 again, and i said thats fine i guess. I said they are probably at 2800 because they filled them mid day when it was hot, and he looks at me blankly like why it would matter if they filled them when it was hot or cold out.

now that i think about it they probably just jacked them full in 20 seconds and when it cooled it went down to 2800. So hopefully dont get to much carbon dioxide in my tank! I guess we will find out.

So all in all, i know all of these thinks are little and probably dont matter but it just irritates me. I would never have gotten a ****ty fill or a dumb *** worker at my LDS in Washington.

**** i dont know a ton about diving and i could run circles around this guy!

Regarding fill pressures. A typical 5-6 minute fill is going to show about a 300 psi decline with cooling. It really doesn't have anything to do with what time of day they are filled. Unless, the tanks are left in the sun and particularly hot when filled. Most of the pressure decrease has to do with the heating of the gas compressed into the cylinder and its subsequent cooling.

What I am confused about it your implication that the fill rate is going to effect carbon dioxide levels in your gas? Ahhhhhhh,????

If your LDS in Washington is staffed by nothing but knowledgable professionals, you are lucky. Many of the shops I've used are staffed by the youngest, least costly, stafff the owner can hire. I imagine this is in an effort to make a buck while selling $5 air fills and $200 OW courses. I can't imagine that the average dive shop can afford to pay the sort of wage that experienced, professionals would demand in order to make a living, pay a morgage, and raise a family, and save for retirement. Usually, I'm happy to offer what help I can to an inexperienced clerk, when they are the only ones open to fill my needs.

Consider yourself lucky, that you have such a great LDS, and that a shop was open @ 8pm to make your planned dive possible.

Just my .02,

Many at MDS are not even divers. Im sure thats who you ran into. The service there has always sucked. I once left a note on there cash register telling them I had been waiting 30 minutes for someone to open the knife case for me and I was now taking my business else where.

Wildcard:
Many at MDS are not even divers. Im sure thats who you ran into. The service there has always sucked. I once left a note on there cash register telling them I had been waiting 30 minutes for someone to open the knife case for me and I was now taking my business else where.
I think those MDS guys are now working at Island Divers on Oahu. They're out to get you! :banana:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=176491

oh man...don't get him started. lol.

You have to figure they are making mininum wage...no not even that.

yea, I am more like "If they help me great, if not, I will work around that"

otherwise, you just go around all PO'd all the time...and ultimately, that is your fault.

catherine96821:

otherwise, you just go around all PO'd all the time...and ultimately, that is your fault.
We reap what we sow.

About a month ago I went into the Kamaole/Denny's branch of MDS to pick up a tank. Someone I hadn't seen is working the shop. The tank she grabs to bring out is from the empty pile, so it's pretty obvious that she hasn't rented tanks before. It turns out that she has been working for MDS for a couple of months, but always in the Shops at Wailea branch, the only one that doesn't rent tanks.

No hassle, no fuss, no hurt feelings. I simply point out that the ones with caps or tape over the valve are the full ones. Then describe what the pressure gauge looks like so she can dig around and find it. Then show her how to check pressure on the tank, turn off the valve, and then release pressure from the gauge to get it off.
While doing this we had a pleasant chat about how one of the perks of the job is a reduced rate on the OW cert class she will be attending next month.

Sure beats getting all bent out of shape, hostile and calling her a dumb ***. :)

:popcorn:
catherine96821:
oh man...don't get him started. lol.

Wildcard:
Actually its a global right wing conspiracy... weren't you around when we handed out the secret password?

FWIW - As others have pointed out, you get a LOT of new high school/college grads coming to Maui who pick up a job at MDS in anticipation of learning to dive. Frequently they do not stay around long enough to learn...

HOWEVER - I have also run into some very great people at MDS - One of my regular Dive Buddies was a clerk I met there - we have done some great diving together and become good friends. The manger at the main Kihei branch has been VERY helpful to me (I believe his name is Dan).

Course I've run into clerks at other shops who knew NOTHING about diving "uhh what's an spg? ... a pressure gauge? nope, but you might try across the street" That was from a clerk who "used" to work at my current LDS... which at the time was the "tech" shop in the Lahaina area :wink:

I treat MDS like Radio Shack - if you need something in a hurry, they are very convenient, and might be able to answer questions...

Aloha, Tim

Do these forums have spell check? AH! There is the spell check...the little ABC with the checkmark!

Any fill above what the tank is rated for = BIG FINE per CYLINDER. Like GRANDS each.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom