Maui 12/19 - 12/24 - Oaho 12/15 - 12/29 Need Guidance!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapilot2000

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
We're coming out on the Dec. 19th - 24th staying in Lahaini (Paki Maui Resort). Family of 6. Myself (MI), wife (OW ~10 dives), 3 teen sons (AOW, ~50 dives), 11 year old daughter (newly certified). In Maui, we'd like to do a couple of days of shore dives and probably one day of boat diving (giving the cost of multiple boat diving days of 6 people adds up pretty quick).

I'm hearing that the Mala boat ramp is a great shore dive. Any suggestions on which dive shop to go with for gear, etc?

Next we hop over to Oahu (Waikiki) Dec. 24th - 29th looking to do the same. Last time we were there my sons (11, 12, and 13, at the time) and I dove with AAA. From looking at the boards here, if it's the same AAA, he owns his own boat now. The strategy for Oahu is the same. Looking to do a couple days of shore dives and maybe a day of boat diving.

Can you help with some suggestions and strategies?

Thanks!

The island will be really busy during that time. Right now the water conditions are super sweet for shore diving on the south side. There was 70' viz today down here on one of my dives!

Mala can be really nice, but vis is normally 30 ft or less. Infrequently you'll find it with up to 80ft vis, but that's pretty rare. Your best bet there is earlier in the morning. In Lahaina I'd check with Pacific Dive as they seem to have the best rates, and good service too.

You might also consider doing some shore dives in Kihei (Maybe do a "shaka" dive with Doug :wink: )

The past week Lahaina has had some beautiful conditions, but today was rather drab with a fair amount of surge and vis was at most 30 ft... still nice warm Maui water and 2 hour long dives made for a very nice start to the day :D

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom