Info Phillipines portion from drrich2's Raja Ampat 10-Night Indo-Siren Liveaboard Dec. 2 – 12, 2022 Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trailboss123

Divemaster
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread has been created by copying certain posts from a thread in the Indonesia subforum, as indicated in the title above.

Trip Report-Philippines-Puerto Galera-El Galleon/Asia Divers-April 1-14, 2019 - by @Trailboss123

Puerto Galera with El Galleon/Asia Divers

——10 Day stay with meal plan - For Trailboss123, would’ve been $1,614 + $42.50/day x 11 days so $467.50, so $2,081.50. If round trip transport weren’t included in the package, it’d be $320 more!

——Airfare - July 19 - Aug. 2, 2023 (just grabbed some dates): close to $1,800.

——Baggage - Might be none! I don’t know.

——Tip - Let’s say $250?

——Nitrox - $70 for a week. Maybe $110?

@Trailboss123 in 2019 had 11-night stay at El Galleon + breakfast daily + 11 days unlimited diving + personalized transfers from Manila Airport to Batangas and high-speed boat to resort for $1,614 per person. He had a 12-hour flight to Taiwan, 4-hour layover, 3-hours to Manila, 1.5-hours in Manila airport, 2.75-hour drive to Batangas City for boat, then 1-hour 15-minute boat ride to resort. His total travel time from Seattle to resort was 24.5-hours. Figure 4-dives/day.

If we ignore 3-years’ inflation (hah!), it might add up to $4,241.50. Let’s throw in unexpected expenses (e.g.: Travel insurance? Fuel surcharge? Inflation?) and call it 5-grand rough estimate. His travel itinerary looks similarly grueling to my Raja Ampat trip.
Hey Richard,

Thanks again for setting the standard we all aspire to for trip reports! I thought I would respond to this page of your report, since i have very current information to share.

I have a 2 week trip planned next November, 2023. It is a group trip with a week in Puerto Galera and a week in Dumaguete. I am considering going over a week earlier than the rest of my group and if so, I would spend that time back at El Galleon and dive with Asia Divers. I reached out to the good folks at Bluewater Travel for a quote last week for a 7 night stay and here was the response. Note that the roundtrip transfers from Manila to El Galleon and back is the price you would pay if you had to incur it all by yourself. If there are others that can be coordinated with, the cost would be split among them (maximum of 6 persons).

My wife and I found others who were departing El Galleon the same time we were upon our return to Manila at the end of the dive trip and since we had already paid in advance, those folks just reimbursed us for their percentage and El Galleon was good with that and it is common practice. Here is what Bluewater sent me:

Hi Greg,
Please find the following information with El Galleon:
Oct 30 - Nov 6, 2023
USD350.00 – 7 nights in Budget Room Single
USD448.00 – Fullboard
USD700.00 – Unlimited Diving ( 4 day dives and 1 night dive)
USD73.00 – Unlimited Nitrox for 1 week
USD580.00 – Roundtrip Transfers (Manila – EG – Manila)
100cf tanks: FREE
USD2151.00 – Total Package

I have a 2 week trip planned next November, 2023. It is a group trip with a week in Puerto Galera and a week in Dumaguete. I am considering going over a week earlier than the rest of my group and if so, I would spend that time back at El Galleon and dive with Asia Divers.
Thanks, good info. to have. For your prior trip to Puerto Galera, you flew to Taiwan, then on to Manila. That raises an interesting question; how practical is it to fly from the U.S. direct to the Philippines (probably landing in Manila)? Did a little quick Orbitz searching with a random Sept. 2023 Sat.-Sat. hypothetical itinerary; looks like most have a layover in another country but at least a couple are direct to Manila, Economy class tends to run around $1,300 - $2,000 (if one starts at BNA - Nashville Airport in TN), at least a couple include 2 checked bags (I don't know whether that means no added charge), and arrival is 1 - 2 days after departure.

Considering the grueling trans-Pacific flight there's practically no good way of avoiding, seems like a direct flight to Manila would cut down travel time and hassle. Do most people connect through another country? Is there an advantage vs. direct flight to Manila?

For a week at El Galleon diving with Asia Divers, any idea how much more it'd cost if you were going alone? Is that $2,151 'per person' for you and your wife, or the total for the 2 of you? I'm guessing per person, but it's worth confirming.

Thanks, good info. to have. For your prior trip to Puerto Galera, you flew to Taiwan, then on to Manila. That raises an interesting question; how practical is it to fly from the U.S. direct to the Philippines (probably landing in Manila)? Did a little quick Orbitz searching with a random Sept. 2023 Sat.-Sat. hypothetical itinerary; looks like most have a layover in another country but at least a couple are direct to Manila, Economy class tends to run around $1,300 - $2,000 (if one starts at BNA - Nashville Airport in TN), at least a couple include 2 checked bags (I don't know whether that means no added charge), and arrival is 1 - 2 days after departure.

Considering the grueling trans-Pacific flight there's practically no good way of avoiding, seems like a direct flight to Manila would cut down travel time and hassle. Do most people connect through another country? Is there an advantage vs. direct flight to Manila?

For a week at El Galleon diving with Asia Divers, any idea how much more it'd cost if you were going alone? Is that $2,151 'per person' for you and your wife, or the total for the 2 of you? I'm guessing per person, but it's worth confirming.
The price is just for me-- my wife not going on that trip. So the room and board is for a single person with no single supplement.

I did not enjoy my flight through Taiwan and the layover. I plan to take the non-stop Philippine Airlines flight from Los Angeles (LAX) to Manila (MNL). Which is currently around $1150 round trip for late next year. I will already be down in Los Angeles on business a few days prior, so that will be a separate flight and a business expense.

You might want to look into an inexpensive RT from Nashville to LAX (Southwest maybe) and a separate RT on Philippine Airlines? Just thinking out loud-- have not researched that for viability.

Wow wow wow!! Richard that is one crazy detailed trip report!! Huge respect.
I'm also so happy that everything turned out well for you on the trip and you got to immerse yourself in the wonder of Raja Ampat. You have been planning for this trip for so so so long.
I'm pleased to hear the Indo Siren is still maintaining it's charm. Your pics and description brought back a flood of great memories.

As for Philippines....it's definitely not nearly as good as RA (not many places are!!). So just to keep your expectations in check. And some would suggest there are better spots than Puerto Galera...places like Bohol, Dumaguette, Tabbataha (live aboard needed), Moalboal and Anilao (yes a macro haven).

I would also suggest you can do much cheaper trips to Indo. You can do Bali quite cheap, also places like Bangka can also be done significantly cheaper. Bali could also be a place the rest of the family would love...and you get really good diving.
Just a thought.

Indonesia forum here, I thought.

It is, but any dive destination is considered in the context of alternatives to it. Often with Raja Ampat the key competitor destination seems to be Komodo, but for the budget-conscious traveler from the U.S. (whose tolerance for lower amenity levels might preclude Raja Ampat home stays), the Philippines may offer a compelling alternative. It's Coral Triangle diving with a rep. for being more economical - allegedly almost as good, cheaper and maybe a bit easier to get to?

From the Philippines threads I've seen over time, Puerto Galera seems to be a strong first timer's choice in the region (assuming one isn't mainly after muck diving, at which the discussion may shift to Lembeh Strait vs. Anilao, or the best reef (maybe Tubbataha by liveaboard?)) for general coral reef diving. Atlantis Resort has a good rep. as a premium option at a premium price, but for the mid.-range (by American standards) value conscious dive tourist, El Galleon + Asia Divers has a strong reputation.

My hope is that combining my trip report travel itinerary and budget with the information from Trailboss123, we can get an idea how a mid.-range Raja Ampat liveaboard trip compares to a similar duration El Galleon + Asia Divers Puerto Galera trip. What's the price difference? What's the dive quality difference? Does Puerto Galera diving have the currents that Raja Ampat diving does?

All that said, value options from other Indonesian offerings are also welcome. You have an Indonesian dive business; wonder what a 10-day stay with lodging, meals and 30 or so dives costs in a package deal? You're not in Raja Ampat; does the diving in your area involve much current? Do you consider lush coral reef the main draw? Is macro a big part of it? Do people see mantas often in your area?

I was also impressed with the overall trip offering and budget @Ken Kurtis put forth, as in this thread - INDONESIA 2022 TRIP REPORT, VIDEO, & PIX LINKS

I don't know how roundtrip airfare for Ken's trip compared, but it looked like an impressive package. If I were heading back to Indonesia, I'd scrutinize what they may offer in the future.

From my research notes I have a compilation of threads and some brief summarization on the Philippines (which I have not been to) based on online resources, including ScubaBoard. Some of these links are from divers who've been to both and compare some Philippines and Indonesian dive destinations head-to-head. Apologies if I misunderstood, miscommunicated or just plain got some things wrong. I found this a bit confusing to dig into, and I hope sharing it here may help someone else bypass some of that.

Google Maps Philippines.jpg

Image from Google Maps; intellectual property rights theirs.

Brief Guide to some Commonly Heard Place Names

Puerto Galera – a town on the island of Mindoro known for diving and beaches.

Sabang – a neighborhood in Puerto Galera with Sabang Beach.

Dumaguete – a city on Negros Island in the southern Philippines, capitol of the Negros Oriental Province.

Dauin – a municipality in the province of Negros Oriental on the island of Negros. This is where Dumaguete is found.

Apo Island – a small island a few miles off the coast of Negros Island, near Dauin.

Anilao – in the Batangas province on the island of Luzon (largest and most populous in the Philippines). Known for muck diving and macro. Noted by some as the nudibranch capitol of the world (per dianna912, Post #1).

Tubbataha Reef – a marine reserve served by live-aboard and known for great diving.

Moalboal – a municipality in the province of Cebu (a large island + islets).

Malapasqua – a small island in the Visayan Sea. Known for diving with thresher sharks.

Visayas – one of the Philippine’s 3 main island groups/divisions (along with Luzon and Mindanao). It features several islands surrounding the Visayan Sea. Major islands – Panay, Negros, Cebu, Bohol, Leyte and Samar.

Bohol – a province in the Central Visayas region; includes Bohol Island and some nearby islands.

Continued...​

Attachments

• Philippines.jpg
    Philippines.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 48
Focus on Dive Destinations with Trip Reports and Comparisons

Focus on Dive Destinations with Trip Reports and Comparisons

• Puerto Galera – has an Atlantis Resort. El Galleon is a popular, more budget-friendly option. Scandi Dive Resort is outside the main area but you can walk into town (DiveTucson Post #3). The coastal city of Sabang has a seedy element – said to have many prostitutes (Post #3).
"Tiny" if compared with what is on offer in Phuket.
Yet, I have never ever came across anyone mentioning the seedy side of the island in any dive trip report. Out of sight and out of mind.
Getting there(Indonesia) is half the fun but not for Philippines.
PAL will fly you, non stop, from JFK(01:35) and arrive at MNL(07:45). You can be at Anilao for your lunch and then get ready to dive.
PAL also has non stop flights from LAX, SFO, YVR and YYZ to MNL.
Walk in the park if ones want to travel to Philippines from certain cities in Canada and US. Credit card is never an issue.

There is nothing wrong in comparing two countries on same topic. Unless you are running your own business!!!

"Tiny" if compared with what is on offer in Phuket.
Yet, I have never ever came across anyone mentioning the seedy side of the island in any dive trip report. Out of sight and out of mind.
Interesting! I wonder if there's a difference in dive tourist demographics that might account for some of that. In another thread, Komodo: liveaboard vs. land-based resort?, @Luko made an interesting comment:

Secondly most of Komodo operations cater to cheap backpackers or holidayers while R4 attract more serious or hardcore divers.
My point is, perhaps some demographics are a bit more 'worldly' in their expectations and tolerances when traveling, as opposed to a wide-eyed 'I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto!' perspective. If my inference that Puerto Galera draws a lot of Philippines 1st timers from the U.S. is correct, perhaps it's more of a shock to some of them.

In all fairness, one needn't leave the continental U.S. to find seedy places, dangerous neighborhoods, human trafficking and a host of other social ills. I've no desire to paint the Philippines, or Puerto Galera/Sabang in particular, in a bad light.

Tourists have different agendas in mind when they travel. We all have different taste and there is no right or wrong except BIAS view.
There are a lot of divers staying at Homestay in R4 instead of paying ridiculous money for a LoB. As for Komodo(land based) cater to cheap backpackers!!! BS.
There is no such thing as extending the LoB by an extra day or two because the boat has schedule to catch. The boat would have to return to base, drop off the clients, replenish the supply, pick up new clients and then repeat the same diving schedule again and again. Far more flexible for land-based diver, they can even check the schedule of various operators and then decide their next move.
LoB to Similan? Yes.
LoB to Tubbataha? Yes.
LoB to Komodo or R4? NO.
LoB to Sangalaki? NO.
My preferences.

@drrich2
I was merely replying to that link you had quoted. It is very clear that you had never made such a statement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom