Mask's with corrective lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveyoda

New
Reaction score
Does anyone here use a mask with corrective lenses? I wear glasses and can't wear contacts, and am a little young still for Lasik eye surgery, so for now my only option is to wear a mask with corrective lenses. I found a site that makes them, and a mask that I'm thinking about getting. Here it is; http://www.seavisionusa.com/2600.asp

Kinda pricey, but worth it I think. What do you think?

You might want to try your LDS. My wife has the same problem and she got a ScubaPro Solara mask w/ lenses can't remember what she paid but they just pop in and out

Diveyoda,

In the forums page go to the top menu block and click on "Search This Thread"

and type in "SeaVision".

You'll get all the info you'll need.

And, by the way, WELCOME TO THE SCUBABOARD ! ! ! ! ! !

The Kraken

Seavision is an expensive option. We have Oceanic Masks, Ion 4, Ion 2, and Ion, masks that take a corrective lense. We put them in here in the store and send them to you. The lenses are $34.95 each and the masks start at $64.95.....ITs an awesome mask......Dont take this as bashing SeaVision, this is personal experience when we bought some before we opened a Dive Store.....3 of my instructors and myselft included bought them from another LDS....they all leaked, sent them back and they sent us new masks....they also leaked....After talking with SeaVision, they said their masks either work great and dont leak, or people have problems with leaking....That is just personal experience, I would try them to make sure it fits good....Good Luck and those masks can be seen on my site, all you have to do is give me the Rx and we can send the mask right out.

Goodluck in your search!!

Welcome aboard.
Corrective lenses can often be "off-the-shelf" and quite inexpensive. Also, realize that the mask/water interface already corrects for a pretty good case of nearsightedness - about 2 diopters or so. So if your vision is anything better than about 20/100 on the distant chart then you probably won't need any correction at all.
Rick

I went to scuba.com, the cheapest option was to get a standard sized $40 mask and the lenses were $25 each, they put them in fofr me but I believe it's easy to do. They didn't have my exact prescription so I ended up getting slightly stronger than I need, but it works great... except I went for the optional purge valve and mostly regret that choice.

Rick Murchison:
Welcome aboard.
Corrective lenses can often be "off-the-shelf" and quite inexpensive. Also, realize that the mask/water interface already corrects for a pretty good case of nearsightedness - about 2 diopters or so. So if your vision is anything better than about 20/100 on the distant chart then you probably won't need any correction at all.
Rick

I agree Rick. I use a Mares X-Vision with drop in lenses.

Another vote for drop-in lenses. :) I have a Tusa mask with drop-in lenses and it's great! I think as long as you have a *simple* prescription, you'll be OK with drop-ins, but if you astigmatism, for example, you may need/prefer custom lenses ground.

for what it worth, I have used corrective lenses in my mask for 20 years. Drop in lenses work pretty well. The important thing is to make sure the mask fits before you have the lenses put in.

Some optometrists offer custom made lenses for masks.

If you decide to go custom with a good mask that you really like and know that it fits, you can have your lenses placed into the mask. I have had two masks done at
http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com/ in San Deigo and they did a great job!

Here's another vote for the great, nay, superb workmanship of Prescription Dive Masks.

Virtually everything you will read or have told to you about masks is "the most important thing is the fit".

Take the mask that fits you perfectly and get exactly your prescription.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom