mask -- with valve or without

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

avenger79

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I am considering taking the OW course, looking at getting the equipment in line. I could probably use my snorkeling mask for the class but think I would prefer to upgrade anyway.
So I was looking at masks at the local dive shop. Some had the valve under the nose area for clearing the mask, most did not.
Question is, do you prefer the valve or not. I understand the basic use of it, just don't know how often that feature would be appreciated.
Input?

You don't need it, because clearing the mask is easy peasy and one of the things you'll learn during OW class. The valve is yet another potential failure point, and you don't want more of those than necessary.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

My first mask had one, it was GREAT in retirment now as over 40 years old. My new masks don't have one and they all leak water to some extent and clearing while easy is not as easy as with the old mask. All it required was a very gentle blow out through the nose to clear.
Yes you will be frowned upon.
Some will tell you that to dive with that mask will lead to instant death.
You will still have to learn how to flood and clear your mask the normal way but thats just good practise.
My next mask will have one.

Reactions: BRT
The nose valve mask is for snorkeling, not diving. the pressure changes during the dive will cause the mask to leak.

If you want an easy time with the mask skills required in the OW class find a low volume mask that fits your face properly. Then tend to come only in black and they are what 90% of technical divers wear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

First, focus on a well-fitting mask. If it happens to have a valve, it’s OK, but certainly not necessary.

Pros:
- Can sometimes allow hands-free mask clearing – but proper strap placement can also sometimes do that. Both usually while facing forward and slightly down.

Cons:
- Potential failure point, although it’s uncommon.
- Effective only in one mask orientation. I like to be able to also clear a mask (for example) while looking down and tilting my head to one side.
- Potential added cost, but I haven’t really noticed.

When I had students with exhaust valve masks, I encouraged them to also use other masks. You never know when your mask will fail or get lost, so it’s good to be able to use others.

Bottom line, as in so many things, it’s personal preference.

As long as your current mask fits well and has tempered glass, there is no need to change.

< Married to a divemaster who prefers a valve in her mask. >

---------- Post added March 13th, 2014 at 07:11 AM ----------

... the pressure changes during the dive will cause the mask to leak. ...
Interesting. Had not heard that before, and it's certainly not a universal experience.

K.I.S.S. No valve its just another failure point. No purge on the snorkel either, it just increases the weight and drag. You don't need it. The less dodads you have the less that can break, cheaper too!

Learn to clear your mask while horizontal by turning your head. I use that method almost all the time it's a lot more graceful and elegant than lifting your head while arching your back while you're trying to swim forward!

Buy the mask that fits the best, leaks the least and has the best visibility. If it has a purge valve, you might like it, and if it doesn't you can dive nicely without it.

The purge valve allows for slightly easier mask clearing, however purging without one isn't difficult either. It's like putting power steering on a sub-compact. It doesn't hurt, but it probably doesn't help much either.

The "potential failure point" argument is largely irrlevant, since the very worst that would happen if your valve leaks, is that your mask will get some water in it, which will usually happen anyway.

A mask is "nice to have" on a dive, it is by no means "life support" or even a requirement. In fact, you can SCUBA dive and snorkle quite nicely without any mask at all, although things will look blurry.

flots.

Buy the mask that fits the best, leaks the least and has the best visibility. If it has a purge valve, you might like it, and if it doesn't you can dive nicely without it.

The purge valve allows for slightly easier mask clearing, however purging without one isn't difficult either. It's like putting power steering on a sub-compact. It doesn't hurt, but it probably doesn't help much either.

The "potential failure point" argument is largely irrlevant, since the very worst that would happen if your valve leaks, is that your mask will get some water in it, which will usually happen anyway.

A mask is "nice to have" on a dive, it is by no means "life support" or even a requirement. In fact, you can SCUBA dive and snorkle quite nicely without any mask at all, although things will look blurry.

flots.

I guess that's relative to how fast the leak is and how long the dive will be. Some people have low tolerance for that sort of thing. I dove for a long time with a mask I cleared every 5 minutes or so that did not have a valve. It did have a worn and warped skirt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom