mask -- with valve or without

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMG, couple the mask with a purge valve and a dry snorkel and you will die before you get wet.

All the experts agree that a purge valve is bad and may kill you. I've only used purge valve masks for 30 years, so have limited experience but I don't buy anything without the valve. Tusa Imprex Hyperdry is my favorite and current certainly doesn't make their purge valves leak.

What experts? I have never heard anyone say that a purge valve will kill you...only that it is unnecessary and a potential point of leaking...which would be annoying, but not lethal.

Incidentally, in case you are confused....flots am and dmoore19 are joking :)

me too :D

thanks for the many replies guys. kinda reinforced what I thought. Just wanted to check for opinions before purchasing. I was amazed how well the mask at the dive shop fit my face. it didn't have a valve. LOL

pretty much caught the humpor from flotsam and dmoore. especially loved the inverted fill with air story. LOL

but now WTH is a "dry" snorkel? is that one that you leave in the truck? LOL I suppose it's one with the valve on the end that won't let water in?

but now WTH is a "dry" snorkel? is that one that you leave in the truck? LOL I suppose it's one with the valve on the end that won't let water in?

You can buy an actual "dry snorkel." It has a giant ball on top that contains a valve (there are a couple of different styles).

When the top gets wet, the valve closes, and keeps the water out.

It's actually really nice for infrequent snorkelers who don't know how to clear a snorkel and who get freaked out by water, however it's terrible for SCUBA because:

• It's heavy and pulls your mask out of place
  • The ball catches on everything
  • If you dive down with it in your mouth, it will suck your tongue right out of your face.

flots.

This is a dry snorkel.

The device on the top closes when you go underwater, keeping water from filling the snorkel tube, it is a float.

Some snorkels even have the deadly purge valve.

Oceanic-Ultra-Dry-Mini-U-S-A-Limited-Edition-Snorkel.jpg

No valve. It's as useful as a p-valve in a wetsuit.

Disclaimer: I'm not sure if this is a true story, but it is funny-or painful.....I was told this "as true", but...: :)

There was a diver who thought that peeing in his wetsuit was gross, but there were times when he "had to go". His solution was to cut a hole in the crotch seam of his wetsuit, and when the need arose, "fish out" the appropriate appendage, and go.
Evidently, the "fish it out" part was too cumbersome/complicated, so he reshaped (?) the hole so that his "appendage" was always poking its head out, so as to be able to "go" on a moments notice. Evidently, his first giant stride entry caused him to rethink his creativity.

The guy who told me the story speculated on the potential problem at depth, when the wetsuit compressed....but.....who knows!

dmoore and flots -- yep pretty much what I thought they were talking about. saw the gal at the dive shop trying to sell one of those to a customer.

miked -- that was hilarious. I must admit I hadn't thought about having to "go" while diving. hmm another thing to think about. I'm suddenly even less interested in renting a wet suit. LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom