mask -- with valve or without

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a number of masks, 20-30 perhaps, that range in age from new to 1950's era. About half of the older masks that I use have purge valves, it is an idea that has been around for a long time. All of those masks work fine. Anytime I do have an issue with flooding it is leaking around the skirt because of the shape of my face, so for me, this is a far more important feature than purge/no purge ie. a good fit.

I have written an article about the history of mask development in diving that can be read here: The Evolution of the Modern Diving Mask - manfish.ca The Adventure of Grassroots Canadian Diving

I just did a dive with a 1960's era purge valve mask. This design was pre-nose pocket so to equalize one had to press the nose against a neoprene pad (akin to some FFM designs). The purge is original so we could conservatively place it's age at 40 years.

[video=youtube;E18srqOlchs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E18srqOlchs[/video]

Valve is just another thing to go wrong .02

My appologies. Of course posts have to be anecdotal. And it's not an upstate thing - it's a frustration thing that has nothing at all to do with purges, logic, etc. I've been under a boatload of stress due to a very serious illness that put my Dad in the hospital. He's 92 and is having a very tough time. Over the course of several weeks I've held it together while spending 6-8 hours, sometimes more, at his bedside every day. Unfortunately it's made me a downright pain in the ass. I can't strike out against the illness but I shouldn't get pissy in my posts. I guess it was anger - but nothing to do with purges - simply rage against helplessness. No nead for condolances. It is what it is. I just need to deal with it better.

My appologies. Of course posts have to be anecdotal. And it's not an upstate thing - it's a frustration thing that has nothing at all to do with purges, logic, etc. I've been under a boatload of stress due to a very serious illness that put my Dad in the hospital. He's 92 and is having a very tough time. Over the course of several weeks I've held it together while spending 6-8 hours, sometimes more, at his bedside every day. Unfortunately it's made me a downright pain in the ass. I can't strike out against the illness but I shouldn't get pissy in my posts. I guess it was anger - but nothing to do with purges - simply rage against helplessness. No nead for condolances. It is what it is. I just need to deal with it better.

Take care man.

Back
Top Bottom