mask -- with valve or without

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a mask with a valve and lost it. My new one does not have a valve. No difference. The most important thing is that the fit is PERFECT. By the way the only problem with the valve is that it started to bother my nose after 50 minutes into the dive. No big deal, but since it is pretty useless.:kiss2:

If you find a mask that fits you well and you want to buy it with a purge go ahead. All the talk about it being "something to be concerned about" or "a potential failure point" is for the most part BS. I was certified in 91 and bought a Scubapro Trivent mask. It has a purge and is a higher volume mask but in over 1000 dives it has never leaked or had a single problem. I bought two really nice Atomic masks and still have them but they are my back-up masks on every trip. No matter what latest and greatest mask I have tried, I keep going back to my Trivent. Easiest mask I have ever had to clear.

I get a chuckle out of reading all the posts about how bad they can be and how divers should avoid masks with a purge. I suspect most people who warn about all the negatives of these masks never even had or used one.

The exception to the no valve mask is one that has a valve but is blocked until the user cuts the rubber off. Do they still make those?

You can buy an actual "dry snorkel." It has a giant ball on top that contains a valve (there are a couple of different styles).

When the top gets wet, the valve closes, and keeps the water out.

It's actually really nice for infrequent snorkelers who don't know how to clear a snorkel and who get freaked out by water, however it's terrible for SCUBA because:

• It's heavy and pulls your mask out of place
  • The ball catches on everything
  • If you dive down with it in your mouth, it will suck your tongue right out of your face.

flots.
And of course the most important reason it's terrible for Scuba is that it is not scuba gear at all.
Snorkles are and air source for snorkling, and regulators are a gas source for scuba.
Also they are truly a hazard for a long hose set up.

As for OP the valve doesn't really have much of an up side.
It has at least 2 or 3 negative issues for any advantage it offers.
Imagine finding a mask with a perfect fit and having it start leaking 2 years later.
trust me it happens.

On the side of not having a drain valve its good to know this valve fell deep into the design faults. CORSICA.jpgMARINE WIDE.jpgVOIT WIDE VISION 1960.JPGHEALTHWAYS SCUBA VIEW.jpg

LOL at some of the "joke" comments, great story of the "peevalve" in wet suit will keep that story on the back burner. Thanks

john

I am considering taking the OW course, looking at getting the equipment in line. I could probably use my snorkeling mask for the class but think I would prefer to upgrade anyway.
So I was looking at masks at the local dive shop. Some had the valve under the nose area for clearing the mask, most did not.
Question is, do you prefer the valve or not. I understand the basic use of it, just don't know how often that feature would be appreciated.
Input?
Don't shop in the store and buy on line, unless they have a website.

Buy what you like, the valve may leak, but you might lose the mask before then too... both could happen... or not.

---------- Post added March 13th, 2014 at 10:03 PM ----------

The nose valve mask is for snorkeling, not diving. the pressure changes during the dive will cause the mask to leak.

If you want an easy time with the mask skills required in the OW class find a low volume mask that fits your face properly. Then tend to come only in black and they are what 90% of technical divers wear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Huh? why would pressure be a problem? You do know how to equalize a mask don't you? A skin diver does a lot more equalizing than a scuba diver.

Snorkeling masks have low volume too, not really sure what you are seeing as a difference between a snorkel mask and a scuba mask. A lot of new divers like clear silicone because it allows light in from the side and many find this not as claustrophobic. Since this person hasn't even started OW classes, it might be premature to advocate buying tech gear.

Buy what you like.

Last edited:
Some snorkels even have the deadly purge valve.
Like mine. So I both use a snorkel and it's got the deadly purge valve. I haven't died yet, but I guess it's just a question of time. Hopefully in the order of 30-50 years or more.

00093_1_lo.jpg

I ended up with the purge valve-equipped snorkel when I bought my ABC gear before the OW course. To my defense, I didn't even notice that the snorkel had a valve when I bought it.

But my point is, a valve can be annoying. I've had to grease the valve membrane a couple of times to stop sucking seawater instead of air when I'm lying face down on the surface.

If purges are so bad why do they still make masks and snorkles with them, why hasn't the design changed in forever, AND why do they put them in 2nd stages where all the bushwah problems you nay sayers listed would kill the diver. Take your 2nd stage apart or at least look at the expladed parts diagram for a big surprise. Exact same design, same components, same silicone material. Do everybody a favor - either drop your elitest, uninformed crap or go blow smoke out your butt somewhere else.

Last edited:
If purges are so bad why do they still make masks and snorkles with them, why hasn't the design changed in forever, AND why do they put them in 2nd stages where all the bushwah problems you nay sayers listed would kill the diver. Take your 2nd stage apart or at least look at the expladed parts diagram for a big surprise. Exact same design, same components, same silicone material. Do everybody a favor - either drop your elitest, uninformed crap or go blow smoke out your butt somewhere else.

Why the anger? Did you invent the purge valve or have some other vested interest? The original poster asked a question, to which I and a few others lent our opinions to, one way or another, and related relevant experience. My own experience was recent and, in my opinion, was pertinent to the discussion.

If you are going to have a coronary over an internet post, I wonder what your reaction would be to a true emergency. Repeat after me, OOOHHHMMM.

I agree...why the anger?

The valve on a 2nd stage regulator is necessary for the regulator to work. The purge valve on a mask is not necessary for the mask to work.

That doesn't make the purge valve evil. Even if it fails, a leak is a minor inconvenience. If it falls out completely in the middle of the dive, it is still not life threatening. To be clear, I am not suggesting that either of these failures are common.

Back
Top Bottom