Mask, Vision correction, cheaters & none

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Schwob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Something tells me the info is here and I am just " navigation challenged" in finding it. Can you help me understanding our way around various mask lenses and the options there.
A.
My wife wears glasses or contacts for normal vision (driving, walking, around the house), but takes her glasses off for reading, desk & computer work (it occurs to me, I have no idea how that works with contacts... I should ask...). If she were to get a mask, ordered with vision corrected lenses (not special, just "catalog"), would she then have trouble reading the gages etc? - or do corrected lenses come with a non-corrected reading field at the bottom (reverse cheaters?) - all of them or special order of sorts only ... or how does / might this work?

B. Diving with contacts on would probably be a really dumb idea or? I am thinking ripped off or flooded mask, with a contact somewhere askew in the eye to content with could happen and it seems borderline idiotic to me to risk that. But I don't wear contacts (in or out of the water) and don't know what I am talking about. Do I see that about right - or?

C.
I recently became quite more dependent on cheaters (yep, joining the club), squinting does not quite cut it all that often any more. So I have an of the rack mask that came with cheaters built in by the maker. I am noticing that I may need a differing strength left and right to be perfect. My "field of focus" is definitey at differing distances (pending on cheater strength, more noticeably so) between the left and right eye. I have not decided yet if that's good or bad. More of the near field is in focus, pending on which eye I use. But, not diving that often, I of course notice UW with the mask on when I use the wrong eye for the distance. (Probably because with a mask on it is hard to to impossible (pending distance) see near objects through both mask cheaters at the same time. I think I am fine as is... but still thinking...
Do any of you fuss over that and have any of you looked into different cheater strength left and right - or are you also thinking that probably, in reality won't do much to really help anyway, since close up it's one eye or the other with a mask on. Or?

Dude, you're old with bad eyes...

:D

I know plenty of people who dive with their contacts in.

Dude, you're old with bad eyes...

:D

I know plenty of people who dive with their contacts in.
Bloody whippersnapper! :(

I've worn daily disposable contact lens for my last 100 or so dives and never had one come out yet. Put them in in the morning, dive, snorkel, swim, take 'em out at bedtime and throw them away. Mind you, my mask hasn't flooded during that time for real, but I've done the drill a few times in both pool and salt water without any issues at all. The odds on both lenses coming out simultaneously must be very, very low. I keep a spare strip in my mask box just in case I need to change them between dives, but they've never been needed.

These can be ordered with different prescriptions for each eye, and supposedly even varifocal although I've never tried those.

@Schwaeble if you talk to your optometrist they can give you a copy of your prescription. You can then send your mask in to a company called Prescription Dive Masks Inc (and Im sure there are others) and they will put your prescription into your mask. My wife has progressive lenses and they do a great job.

Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878.

Mrs Stoo and I have opposite eyeball issues... She's basically blind, so wears her contacts while diving. I have crusty old eyeballs and wear cheaters to read. Years ago, I started to use those little stick-on lenses in my mask. They worked fine unless I was on vacation. After a day or two of constantly being wet, the lenses would become unstuck, The only way to re-stick them, is to let the mask dry completely.

I eventually ordered a proper Rx mask and don't regret it at all. I have had that mask for a few years now, and I would likely benefit from another +.25. I'm not sure if these lenses can be removed and replaced...

That is a good question @Stoo. My wife is still on her first set as her prescription changes little, and with underwater magnification she hasnt noticed a drop off in vision at all.

That is a good question @Stoo. My wife is still on her first set as her prescription changes little, and with underwater magnification she hasnt noticed a drop off in vision at all.

Ya, they seem pretty stuck... Plus I can't actually remember the name of the outfit that made them up... someone in Manhattan I think...

Ya, they seem pretty stuck... Plus I can't actually remember the name of the outfit that made them up... someone in Manhattan I think...

I just hit their FAQ page and there wasnt anything on there about re-using an already once configured mask. Im going to guess probably not, but only because I imagine any solvent they might use to melt the glue may be hard on the mask itself.

That would be my guess too.... Makes for an expensive replacement. Last time, I bought a new mask and sent it down. (Didn't figure there was much point in spending a ton of money on a ratty old mask).

I'll keep squinting a little longer... ;-)

As I recall it was about as expensive as a new set of glasses. Couple hundred dollars if memory serves, not counting the cost of the mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom