Mask, Vision correction, cheaters & none

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just hit their FAQ page and there wasnt anything on there about re-using an already once configured mask. Im going to guess probably not, but only because I imagine any solvent they might use to melt the glue may be hard on the mask itself.
They can replace your prescription lens. The lens are removed from the mask to be worked on, so no worries about harming the mask.

Prescription mask advice

Thanks for all the input. Stuff to look at and read up on. Biggest eye opener: Diving with disposable contacts (not me, my wife) might not be as dumb a thought as I thought it was.

@Stoo, if those cheaters are glued in with something like an optically clear, UV curing (usually, but not necessarily acrylic) adhesive, they might be tough to remove. Never tried so.

@Schwaeble if you talk to your optometrist they can give you a copy of your prescription. You can then send your mask in to a company called Prescription Dive Masks Inc (and Im sure there are others) and they will put your prescription into your mask. My wife has progressive lenses and they do a great job.

Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878.

Ah, look at that link... "see-unders" is what they are called...

I have had that mask for a few years now, and I would likely benefit from another +.25. I'm not sure if these lenses can be removed and replaced...
My paranoid, tight-fisted, Scottish fear about masks with corrective lenses is if my prescription changes too much over time and I have to buy a different mask. I'm still diving the first basic Scubapro mask I ever bought, and I love it - it's never leaked a single drop, unlike the Venom ARC I was given for Xmas.

Prescription dive masks can update the scrip lenses in a mask (only in a 2-window mask, it seems). My astigmatism is very unstable and the presbyopia keeps getting worse so I've had it done repeatedly.

If she were to get a mask, ordered with vision corrected lenses (not special, just "catalog"), would she then have trouble reading the gages etc?

My wife says:
if I were to read a book, I'd have to hold it far away, like you do without glasses. Numbers on the computer are big enough to not be a problem. Mind you, I'm -5, not -9 or anything like that.

HTH

Mrs Stoo and I have opposite eyeball issues... She's basically blind, so wears her contacts while diving. I have crusty old eyeballs and wear cheaters to read. Years ago, I started to use those little stick-on lenses in my mask. They worked fine unless I was on vacation. After a day or two of constantly being wet, the lenses would become unstuck, The only way to re-stick them, is to let the mask dry completely.

I eventually ordered a proper Rx mask and don't regret it at all. I have had that mask for a few years now, and I would likely benefit from another +.25. I'm not sure if these lenses can be removed and replaced...

Maybe I should have read this post first. I just bought a pair of the stick on to try. So far I have been happy with the testing I did. But I didn't soak them for a long time to see how they hold up.

I had read posts complaining about them not adhering well so after they were dried for 36 hours I ran a few tests. Results:

- I washed them with: soap, salt water, mask defog, fresh water, pool water, and saliva. They stayed adhered and in position

- I dove with the mask and cleared it many times. I even pulled it clear off and wiped it inside with my fingers (underwater). They stayed adhered and in position.

- I left the mask in full sun for a few hours. No noticeable effect.

- I swam for 1.5 Km to see if they would fog up differently than the mask itself. They did not fog any differently.

+1 for Prescription Dive Masks!

I had them add my Rx (with cheaters!) to my mask for my last trip. Although it's a bit expen$ive, I should have done it years ago. Recommended.
-PH

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom