Mask, Vision correction, cheaters & none

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried everything, including carrying a magnifying glass. Then I bit the bullet and got a set of lenses put into my mask (HOME) - with my exact distance prescription (I have astigmatism - both eyes) as well as my reading prescription as a bifocal in the left lens (to better read my computer/gauges). I should have done that first. The difference is unbelievable.

As far as expense - think about how much we spend on gear, fills, maintenance, vis & hydro, and trips. Does it make any sense to see less than perfectly clearly? I even bought a new mask (exactly the same as the old mask) because I wanted as perfect a setup as possible. Worth it at twice the price - or more.

Although I myself use contact lenses for presbyopia, via "mono vision" method, and a regular dive mask to achieve my best comfort and vision under water.

A plus for prescription mask is that I am never tempted to put it on my forehead when I come up out of dive. My husband has contacts and he is always risking losing his mask.
Where can I buy the stick on disks for up close vision of the gauges? Doing ok, but it would be nice to have a little mag for that use.

I am near-sighted and have astigmatism in one eye and I wore disposable, monovision contacts for years. They used to work great with my regular mask underwater, but unfortunately contacts no longer work for me (above water) and now I wear glasses most of the time.

I figured that I would have to get prescription lenses put into my mask but my eye doctor offered another solution that has worked very well for me. My near vision is still pretty good, I often take my glasses off to read, and water has magnification properties. He figured out what my vision would be underwater - factoring in the magnification effect of water - and prescribed disposable contact lenses for distance that still allow me to see close. I probably couldn't read a novel underwater (but I don't want to!) and I can certainly read my gauges and see close objects - so I am very happy with his solution!

Last edited:
A plus for prescription mask is that I am never tempted to put it on my forehead when I come up out of dive. My husband has contacts and he is always risking losing his mask.
Where can I buy the stick on disks for up close vision of the gauges? Doing ok, but it would be nice to have a little mag for that use.

Before he got contacts my husband tried the stick-on lenses and they didn't work for him. They didn't stay put and he had a hard time seeing through them, but maybe they have been improved since then? He now wears disposable contacts all the time, including when diving, and they work great for him.

I just bought and tested these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GHRKWFI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Other posters have said they have trouble keeping these in place but so far I have not had problems. It is very important that the surfaces be clean and after placing them allow plenty of time to dry properly (24 hours absolutely minimum). Once I cut them to shape, aligned them and adhered them, I found they did allow me to read the small print and did not noticeably interfere with my normal distance vision.
IMG_1693.JPGIMG_1695.JPGIMG_1698.JPG
The photos show where I trimmed these to fit my lenses. Trimming was vital to getting them where I needed to see through them properly. They trim easily with sharp scissors. Hints on installation: dry fit them and mark them with marker to trim prior to installation. Make sure they are aligned vertically with your eye but set below your eye. I found it easiest to submerge the mask and lens in water then position the lens and press it on, all while underwater, that way no chance for air trapped.

The lenses are flexible but not infinitely flexible. They would not work on a flat mask or extraordinarily curved mask. Mine were 5.5 and 6.5 and the 6.5 had more difficulty trapping air when I tried to adhere above water (thus the underwater adhere technique.)

After they were dried for 36 hours I ran a few tests. Results:
- I washed them with: soap, salt water, mask defog, fresh water, pool water, and saliva. They stayed adhered and in position
- I dove with the mask and cleared it many times. I even pulled it clear off and wiped it inside with my fingers (underwater). They stayed adhered and in position.
- I left the mask in full sun for a few hours. No noticeable effect.
- I swam for 1.5 Km to see if they would fog up differently than the mask itself. They did not fog any differently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom