mask strap under hood?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

socaljohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was reading a post and noted a comment from a diver with many dives who mentioned not needing a backup mask if you put your hood over your mask strap. Is this typical? I have had issues with mask leaking because of my hood being under the mask flange...

You don't have to take a backup mask unless you are doing dives that won't let you reach the surface immediately. Some people do like taking them no matter what.

I am having a hard time figuring out your question. Some divers wear their mask strap on the inside of their hood and some wear the strap on the outside of the hood. Every diver wears their mask on their face with the excess of the hood overlapping on top of the mask. I prefer wearing my mask strap on the outside of my hood because if I wear in on the inside the mask strap wants to open the flap on my hood around my face and let more water in.

I tried it once. It was uncomfortable because A. the hood pressed my mask's buckles into my head, and B. the buckles created gaps in the hood seal causing it to be pretty ineffective. Maybe other hoods and masks work better, but my combo just doesn't work (and I don't really have a need for it to work).

I always make sure I pull my hood edges away from my face after putting my mask on to make sure it doesn't interfere with the mask seal.

I would not say it is typical where I am. But if it makes you feel better, give it a try.

I have not met any recreational divers that carry back up masks, usually only tech divers. But that does not mean you can't bring a backup or put the stap under your hood if you want.

I switch back from and forth from over hood to under hood. Calm conditions more likely over. Surf, current, surge, more likely under. As to over or under, I really think it is a personal comfort thing. There is no "right way." BTW. I have never carried a second mask on an open water recreational dive, whether fresh water or salt.
DivemasterDennis

I am having a hard time figuring out your question. Some divers wear their mask strap on the inside of their hood and some wear the strap on the outside of the hood. Every diver wears their mask on their face with the excess of the hood overlapping on top of the mask.

If you put your mask on first, and then put the hood over it, the mask frame would automatically be under the hood and you'd have a proper seal right away. At least in theory, I've never tried it myself.

I have never tried mask strap under the hood, but I do wonder if you would be able to adjust your mask strap positioning while diving. Thinking back on my diving, I don't recall ever having to adjust my strap so my point is probably moot :)

I always wear my mask under my hood, it make it easier to don as well as making sure that the skirt makes a good seal. It prevents your mask from moving around or being kicked off by another diver. With that said I do carry a spare mask in my pocket. There is nothing worse than getting out to the tag line and someone having a mask problem, this way I hand them a new mask and down we go.. The boat crews love it, and it has saved more than one dive...

I guess thinking about it a bit more, I realize why I have never tried mask under hood. I generally only wear my hood when drysuit diving, and put my hood on before putting my hands into my sleeves (easier to tuck in the warm neck collar without dry gloves on). So, I am not really willing to wear my mask the whole time getting suited up :) Probably not all that relevant to this post, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it :)

I was reading a post and noted a comment from a diver with many dives who mentioned not needing a backup mask if you put your hood over your mask strap. Is this typical? I have had issues with mask leaking because of my hood being under the mask flange...

i would have thought that if the strap was going to fail then it would not matter if the hood was under or over.

if you hood gets under the mask i would think about giving it a little trim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom