Gag strap over or under mask strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TuckerIdaho

Contributor
Reaction score
Speak to me unwashed masses. Under or over mask strap?

Used mine for the first time (AP on Shrimp). Super comfy, impossible to talk on the surface when buckled.

Need to mess with it a touch with the zip tie. I think it was leaking a tiny bit.

I wear 2 hoods, mask over first then 2nd hood and gag strap over that.

Speak to me unwashed masses. Under or over mask strap?
Speaking from personal experience a gag strap over the Mask strap is what you want,

You will be in for all sorts of pain, if you have to remove your loop and the gag strap is under the mask strap, and your mask comes off, then you have lost your mask and lost your loop. In my case I lost all visual reference, started becoming positive and floating towards the ceiling, before my instructor grabbed me.

If you have a gag strap, practicing a bubble and bail, is even more important because that extra layer of having to deal with the gag strap after bailing becomes more difficult.

Speaking from personal experience a gag strap over the Mask strap is what you want,

You will be in for all sorts of pain, if you have to remove your loop and the gag strap is under the mask strap, and your mask comes off, then you have lost your mask and lost your loop. In my case I lost all visual reference, started becoming positive and floating towards the ceiling, before my instructor grabbed me.

If you have a gag strap, practicing a bubble and bail, is even more important because that extra layer of having to deal with the gag strap after bailing becomes more difficult.
Agree with all of this. Make sure your gag is over your hood as well. In the case you forget or do either of these things backwards, you can pull it down and to the side. It complicates your bail out but prevents loss of your mask. As mentioned needs to practice regularly or you will forget and close your dsv with your gag in place which is a jolt to the system 🤣

Also if your doing deco you have more than one bailout tank. So even with a BOV your still needing to take loop out of mouth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom