Gag strap over or under mask strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless the gag strap can be extremely loosened, you can’t pull the loop+gag strap over your mask.
The Drager strap is easy to loosen, it's common to drop the DSV or the BOV below your chin. Mask on top is a nightmare and potentially rips of your mask at the worst possible time.

The Drager strap is easy to loosen, it's common to drop the DSV or the BOV below your chin. Mask on top is a nightmare and potentially rips of your mask at the worst possible time.
Don't know if I'm missing something here...

The gag strap is around the back of my neck (at mouth level).
The mask strap is around the back of my head (at eye level).

The two don't overlap/crossover.

I put the loop on first, then the mask as it means I don't overly loosen the gag strap to get the mouthpiece over the mask.

When bailed out, I'll periodically "burp" the loop under my chin (as the loop is pressurised due to the orifice injecting oxygen).

If ever I needed to get the loop above my head underwater, e.g. the "hero" manoever to get loop liquid back in the exhale lung, I've never had a problem pulling it over my mask -- and could easily loosen the gag strap anyway.

so you would bail out and gas switch using QC's during entire deco?
i.e. you will complete the entire dive on your BOV? must be a really good WOB on that BOV where can I get one?

Shrimp/Divesoft definitely not up to that - I would gas switch to a regulator ASAP after going to the BOV.

Matan.
If your BOV is confortable, yes, if not, you may switch to your regular 2nds when wanted. Having a QC, doesn't mean that you should not have regular seconds on your regs, and, there will be times you will have only one BO bottle.
So it's not the only way to do, it's one possibility

I put the loop on first, then the mask as it means I don't overly loosen the gag strap to get the mouthpiece over the mask.

When bailed out, I'll periodically "burp" the loop under my chin (as the loop is pressurised due to the orifice injecting oxygen).

If ever I needed to get the loop above my head underwater, e.g. the "hero" manoever to get loop liquid back in the exhale lung, I've never had a problem pulling it over my mask -- and could easily loosen the gag strap anyway.
The drager mask strap comes off the mouthpiece at an angle, its meant to go up from your chin around the back of your head. It's longer that way too, so if you drop the BOV/DSV below your chin the strap will fall down behind your neck and gives you move room. Going on top of your mask strap allows all those manuvers easily and on the off chance you need to pull the loop over your head you can do that too - without dislodging your mask strap for any of it

so you would bail out and gas switch using QC's during entire deco?
i.e. you will complete the entire dive on your BOV? must be a really good WOB on that BOV where can I get one?

Shrimp/Divesoft definitely not up to that - I would gas switch to a regulator ASAP after going to the BOV.
Which is why Matan that it's crucial to test the performance of a BOV before relying on it for underwater life support. Caveat emptor.

As to where you can get a good, well actually the lowest WOB in both OC and CC modes, BOV from see https://www.opensafetyglobal.com/Safety_files/DV_DL_ALVBOV_Breathing_Params_A3_100318.pdf

Gag strap is behind your neck as the mouthpiece is in your mouth.

Mask strap is behind your head as the mask is on your face.

Unless the gag strap can be extremely loosened, you can’t pull the loop+gag strap over your mask.

Therefore loop+gag strap first, then mask.
If your gag strap is sitting behind your neck, you aren't getting the actual tested to the standard retention functionality required for the unit to pass EN14143 to prevent the diver drowning; when unconscious. Which is kinda the core reason for fitting it....

As mentioned above; it needs to sit on the divers crown at the top back of the head and you should see this correctly reflected/shown in the respective User Manual covering wear of the specific Gag Strap on respective DSV/BOV of all CE'd units that meet the ratified standard.

In answer to the OP, mask on a non-breakable velcro slap strap under hood and ALVBOV crown strap over; with its trigger necklace (that auto-shuts off the loop when removed from divers mouth) around neck.

If the gag strap is around the back of your neck, you're wearing it incorrectly.

I dunno about the crappy AP one, but the Drager and the rEvo copy are designed to be worn with the strap over the crown of your head. For this reason, I wear my mask under my hood and the Drager strap over the hood.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom