Mask Strap (over/under ears?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, I'm not going to read through these posts. But there are two things you need to know. First, the strap is not necessary to seal the mask. Put the mask on without the strap, inhale through your nose, and the mask should stay in place as long as you maintain the slight vacuum. If it doesn't, it does not fit, and you need a new mask.

Second, the split straps of a mask are both meant to go above the ears, not below. The split is to go one over the top of the notch in the back of your skull, and one below.

Wearing a hood should make no difference in the fit of the mask, unless of course you get the hood under the mask's seal. Be sure to get all the hair away from these sealing surfaces too.

These are things that should be covered in a basic scuba course by your instructor.

SeaRat

Hi JR. Thanks for your reply. I do understand and practice the points you have shared 😀. For example, I did follow the nose inhaling prior to purchase, and it worked. My issue is related to the fast that I frequently exhale through my nose, which seems to cause micro adjustments that make the mask to sometimes creep up (and leak). To clarify, my request was whether anyone makes a hybrid straps that splits before the ears vs begins in back (like the traditional ones do). I’m simply trying to experiment with less costly options/alternatives before I start the process of trying to identify an alternative mask, and abandoned a mask that I really like and feel comfortable with. Happy diving.

My issue is related to the fast that I frequently exhale through my nose, which seems to cause micro adjustments that make the mask to sometimes creep up (and leak). To clarify, my request was whether anyone makes a hybrid straps that splits before the ears vs begins in back (like the traditional ones do). I’m simply trying to experiment with less costly options/alternatives before I start the process of trying to identify an alternative mask, and abandoned a mask that I really like and feel comfortable with. Happy diving.

If you are going to exhale out of your nose, you are going to have to accept water in your mask. There isn't a strap that's going to keep that from happening.

When you were in open water, you learned to hold the top of your mask and exhale to clear it. The reason you hold the top of the mask is because if you don't, air escapes from the top. Air escaping from the top of your mask allows more water into your mask.

It sounds like your choices are: accept the leaking that comes with the way you breathe, exhale out of your mouth or, buy a full face mask.

No mask strap or mask is going to solve your problem except a FFM.

Hi JR. Thanks for your reply. I do understand and practice the points you have shared 😀. For example, I did follow the nose inhaling prior to purchase, and it worked. My issue is related to the fast that I frequently exhale through my nose, which seems to cause micro adjustments that make the mask to sometimes creep up (and leak). To clarify, my request was whether anyone makes a hybrid straps that splits before the ears vs begins in back (like the traditional ones do). I’m simply trying to experiment with less costly options/alternatives before I start the process of trying to identify an alternative mask, and abandoned a mask that I really like and feel comfortable with. Happy diving.
You might consider a mask with a purge valve.

To clarify my use of language. I do not exhale through my nose in the traditional sense (i.e., I exhale through my mouth). It’s simply that there is secondary air that “leaks” through my nose based on my physical makeup). I can position (by minor tweaking of where the strap is, to micro position the micro angle of fit to account for this, and have zero leaking. However, like any mask that is set up to have minimum strap pressure (vs. a tightly clamped mask that leave a post-dive face imprint), I was hoping to get some options to consider before I accept the conclusion that I retain what I have (as there may not be workable options - other than buying alternative masks and seeing how they work across repeated dives.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions. I’m going to step away from further replies, as my sense is everything has been said. Take care. Happy holidays and diving!

JimEG,

Before buying a new mask, try some exercises which close the epiglottis and cuts off air coming out your nose. Inhale, hold it, open your mouth and your nose should be cut off from exhaling. Even breathing through your mouth, you should be able to cut off exhaling through your nose. Practice that, and it may cure your problem.

Rather than buying a new mask, learn to use the one you have now. Get in a pool with a mask and snorkel and practice snorkeling for a half hour at a time. (It's a good time of the year to get into the pool anyway.) Get more comfortable snorkeling, and you may simply by snorkeling solve your problem. Keep the mask strap just tight enough to hold the mask in place, and don't over-tighten the strap. Have it up on your head, over the ears, and then simply use it with the snorkel. Snorkeling is a great way to get into the water, and practice what you need to do while scuba diving too.

Below are some of my mask collection. My wife is also shown practicing with her mask and snorkel in the pool prior to our trip to Maui.

SeaRat

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_282e.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_282e.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 66
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_21f0.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_21f0.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 59
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_21f1.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_21f1.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 66
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_21f3.jpg