Mask removal skill = no fun..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can clear the mask fine, but when I take it off, I start to immediately breathe through my nose.

There's a nasal "stop" you use when breathing through your mouth. Not the glottal stop, which stops all air going down your trachea; but a stop at the back of your nasal passages above your throat.

I, for one, don't usually close off that nasal stop when breathing normally through a regulator with a mask on. That may be why I still have a small tendency to breathe out through my nose and fog my mask.

And that's why you and I tend to keep breathing through our noses when our masks come off.

During a mask drill, it's indeed not a race; you can't do everything at the same time. I think you have to systematically establish the highest-priority thing first. Then move on to the next-highest, and so on.

First priority for me when my mask comes off is to establish breathing through my mouth -- it's unlikely I'm going to recover my mask and clear it all on the breath I happen to have. That means closing my nasal stop and making sure I'm breathing well, before I do anything else.

By the way, I'm one of those who don't like to open their eyes underwater. I'd certainly open my eyes if I needed to hunt for my mask.

Everything after that can be done slowly and deliberately, in whatever order you want. Because I use a neoprene strap, I happen to find it's easier to put the strap on first, then the mask. But once my breathing is established, then it doesn't make any difference how long that takes.

Thread's a little long, so if I'm repeating someone, excuse me.

Don't be afraid to hold your nose if you feel panic coming on. As Marek K said, establish your breathing first. Then relax, look down to form an air pocket inside your nostrils, and calmly do what YOU KNOW you can and need to do next. If you go to cold water for your OW cert, also be prepared for the rush of ice cold water hitting you in the face.

My eyes are very sensitive, even in freshwater. I also had trouble learning how not to breathe through my nose. This was the hardest skill for me. I never really got it until years later, when I married an instructor and confided in him my fears. He spent a lot of time with me, swimming without a mask, doing mask removals and swimming with a snorkel and swim goggles to teach myself to breath through my nose. I'm finally really comfortable with it although I can't say I'll ever like it at all. My eyes will always be sensitive to water but at least I can now breathe without inhaling half the ocean!
Good luck to the OP! The swim goggles and snorkel really helped me with the breathing part. For the mechanics, just get in the tub or pool, repetition is key. And, practice every single dive on your safety stop after you certify. You know your weakness!

I forgot to take out my contact lenses during the OW Checkout Dives!!!! We did partial fill and remove and clear and we were in Lake Pleasant which isnt the cleanest water. So I had to remember to leave my eyes closed for the removal.

We dove Hawaii September last and I decided to take off my mask and reg for a picture.......damn that water stings - I was not ready for that!!!!

I bought one of those thick mask straps that take up almost the entire back of your head....once I got it adjusted, the mask is really easy get on and off - highly recommend it, especially to those with long hair.

My eyes are very sensitive, even in freshwater. I also had trouble learning how not to breathe through my nose. This was the hardest skill for me. I never really got it until years later, when I married an instructor and confided in him my fears. He spent a lot of time with me, swimming without a mask, doing mask removals and swimming with a snorkel and swim goggles to teach myself to breath through my nose. I'm finally really comfortable with it although I can't say I'll ever like it at all. My eyes will always be sensitive to water but at least I can now breathe without inhaling half the ocean!
Good luck to the OP! The swim goggles and snorkel really helped me with the breathing part. For the mechanics, just get in the tub or pool, repetition is key. And, practice every single dive on your safety stop after you certify. You know your weakness!

Yep, if you search my earlier posts (not this thread but in general) it was the same issue I had. Exactly what I bolded above is what made it no big deal.

Ive noticed that if I take my time and not try to do everything fast and on one breath then its a lot easier. I will actually take a breath or two just sitting there with a mask full of water or before putting the strap on etc.
I have trouble breathing with a mask off and my eyes open. With my eyes closed its no problem, but when I open my eyes its tougher to breathe.

But ya just remembering to relax is the big deal with me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom