Mask removal skill = no fun..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hate mask clearing drills. However it is a skill you must have - your mask will get knocked off at some point while you are diving - took almost 20 years for the first time, but it will happen no matter how careful you are. Your mask will leak at some point during a dive. I have seen a mask break in mid dive. Loaned an old spare mask to someone whose luggage did not make it. The skirt broke into two pieces mid dive. Very experienced diver came back with both halves.

Having said that I still have trouble and almost always get some water up my nose unless I am really careful.

My technique is to put the mask on - eyes closed or open. I prefer closed as I can't see anyway. Relax, take a breath or two there is no hurry. Start to fill the mask with air by blowing out slowly and as the mask starts to fill with air start to look up until the face of the mask is almost vertical - no need to go beyond that point, in fact you really don't have to go that far and you don't have to blast the air out either. At this point expect that there is still water in the mask and that in the next breath you take you need to make sure that you don't get a nosefull of water - there might not be water still in the mask but if you expect there will be then you can avoid a nosefull. Clear the last little bit by repeating.

To me the key is relax first and don't go beyond vertical until you have at least started to clear.

In a pool you can stand in the shallow end and practice with your eyes open and watch the water level go down as you slowly fill the mask with air. Gives you a feel for how little effort is required to make this happen.

I see you are located in columbus, where are you going through to get your cert? I went through Aqua Immersion, and can't say enough good things.

When snuggled up in bed in the middle of the night and need to arise, do you take a torch to find the light switch.

Here's what made the clearing process go easier for me. I usually have to give my mask two snorts to get all the water out. My issue when I learned was that I'd blow out once and then when I went to inhale, I'd suck some water up my nose.

This seemed silly since I had no trouble with the no-mask swim while breathing. That was strangely one of the easiest skills, despite the fact it was the one that freaked me out the most when faced with doing it the first time.

So here's the deal, I figured out that when I blew out through my nose, my inhale action tended to also be in through my nose, causing obvious problems. The solution was to take a good deep breath, blow out through my nose, stop the flow all together for a second, collect my thoughts and make sure my mind had made the transition back over to mouth only breathing, inhale again, and finish off the rest of the water from the mask.

Once I learned to make this pause and mentally switch back to a mouth-only inhale, it was easy.

Hope this helps.

when i am wearing a hood, i always put the strap on the back of my head and then pull the mask over the front of my face- this eliminates pushing the hood off my head (which is what happens when i put the mask on my face and pull the strap back)

So, what bothered you most about replacing the mask?

The great thing about mask skills is you can practice them at home, in the kitchen sink, or in a bathtub.

You must have one deep kitchen sink!

If what bothered you was not getting the mask cleared, and having to look through a mask full of water, I can only suggest practice. For whatever reason, that particular thing still bothers me, 900 dives later -- I've just learned to stifle the discomfort and get the job done. You can learn it, too.

If you can figure out precisely WHAT the issue is, you can either solve it yourself, or pose a well-defined question to the board. You'll likely get a bunch of useful answers. Mask issues are very common, and most people can learn to overcome them.

I have the same problem with a partially cleared mask. Best I can tell it is the blink reflex when the water splashes at your eyes...the "normal" reaction is to flinch way and shake the water out or clear your eyes with your hand, since neither are possible and your eyes are "trapped" with the splashing the reaction is a shot of adrenalin and a mildly (to me anyway) panicked and uncomfortable feeling as the splashing continues. Once I understand what is making me panic I can usually control it.

That's my take on it.

I hated the mask removal and full flood. I managed to just scrape through these skills but it still poses a problem. Going to practice it in the quarry in a few weeks.

The problem I have is that when I remove the mask I feel like im suffacating. I tell myself that while I have a reg in my mouth I can breath but for some reason I struggle to breath. I even pinch my nose shut to prevent water going into my nose but I struggle to breath. The way I did the skill is to really force myself to exhale. Then its like 2 very short, quick breaths, like im choking on something and trying to breath. I also tried breathing in my mouth and out through my nose but still the same issue.

At home I have filled my mask with water, looked down and I could breath through my mouth :S
I do not have an issue with having my eyes open except for salt water.

Anyone got some solutions?

The Nike motto? Just do it.

I am ok with the mask off my face, but I always seem to suck a little up my nose as I pull the mask over my face and try to clear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom