Mask removal skill = no fun..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

softballer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Completed day two of confined water skills today and this is the first hiccup I faced. I had no issue breathing without the mask, in fact, my instructor actually made the comment - "It looked like you fell asleep down there."

But man, putting that mask back on really gave me fits - the 2nd try worked out better than the first. But it really gives you an idea as to why this stuff has to be done in class in a confined environment.

Imagine never having experienced this and being in OW and it gets knocked off!

Learning a lot and tonight found that it takes 9lbs of weight to keep me down and weighted correctly.

Can't wait until next week.

:D

Hang in there... When I went on my first dive post-certification, I was just happy that I didn't have to prove to someone I could flood and clear my mask, remove/replace my mask/reg/BC, share air, buddy breath, do a CESA, etc. Made a HUGE difference in my enjoyment of the dive. And, I didn't have a bunch of other students trying to kick me in the face. :chairfight:

9 pounds is all? It take me about twice as much! (with a full 3.5mm wetsuit in salt water)

So, what bothered you most about replacing the mask?

The great thing about mask skills is you can practice them at home, in the kitchen sink, or in a bathtub.

If you choked when you tried to replace the mask and clear it, consider the position you were in. If you were on your knees, and tilted your head back as you are told to do, then the water was likely to run down the base of your nose into your throat. Tilting your head back works when you are mostly horizontal underwater, in a diving position; it does NOT work when you are vertical and your face is at right angles to the floor.

If what bothered you was not getting the mask cleared, and having to look through a mask full of water, I can only suggest practice. For whatever reason, that particular thing still bothers me, 900 dives later -- I've just learned to stifle the discomfort and get the job done. You can learn it, too.

If you can figure out precisely WHAT the issue is, you can either solve it yourself, or pose a well-defined question to the board. You'll likely get a bunch of useful answers. Mask issues are very common, and most people can learn to overcome them.

Completed day two of confined water skills today and this is the first hiccup I faced. I had no issue breathing without the mask, in fact, my instructor actually made the comment - "It looked like you fell asleep down there."

But man, putting that mask back on really gave me fits - the 2nd try worked out better than the first. But it really gives you an idea as to why this stuff has to be done in class in a confined environment.

Imagine never having experienced this and being in OW and it gets knocked off!

Learning a lot and tonight found that it takes 9lbs of weight to keep me down and weighted correctly.

Can't wait until next week.

:D
It sounds like you have the hard part down. What was hard about putting the mask back on? Clearing it? Or just getting it on? A neoprene strap cover might make it easier. Placing the mask on your face is the first step, followed by fussing with the strap.

I have a hell of a time getting my mask strap on while wearing a hood. It always gets stuck, tries to pull the hood back, etc. I've found it slightly harder with the neoprene strap, but not enough so to make me bother swapping it back.

If you seal the mask on your face with your hand first, you can look forward (parallel to the ground) while pressing the top of the mask lenses to your forehead and blowing air through your nose to clear the water through the bottom of the mask (very quickly) -- before actually pulling the strap on over your head.

It may take a little practice, but for me it seems the strap goes on much easier once my mask is sealed on my face, filled with air and I can see my partners ;-).

At the least, I don't feel stressed while fiddling with my twisted mask strap.

It sounds like you have the hard part down. What was hard about putting the mask back on? Clearing it? Or just getting it on? A neoprene strap cover might make it easier. Placing the mask on your face is the first step, followed by fussing with the strap.

I didn't have any issue clearing it once on - it just seemed that I fumbled a bit and couldn't quite decide if I should put the mask on first, the strap etc (with my eyes shut it was a little disorienting)

So, what bothered you most about replacing the mask?

The great thing about mask skills is you can practice them at home, in the kitchen sink, or in a bathtub.

If you choked when you tried to replace the mask and clear it, consider the position you were in. If you were on your knees, and tilted your head back as you are told to do, then the water was likely to run down the base of your nose into your throat. Tilting your head back works when you are mostly horizontal underwater, in a diving position; it does NOT work when you are vertical and your face is at right angles to the floor.

If what bothered you was not getting the mask cleared, and having to look through a mask full of water, I can only suggest practice. For whatever reason, that particular thing still bothers me, 900 dives later -- I've just learned to stifle the discomfort and get the job done. You can learn it, too.

If you can figure out precisely WHAT the issue is, you can either solve it yourself, or pose a well-defined question to the board. You'll likely get a bunch of useful answers. Mask issues are very common, and most people can learn to overcome them.

The second time I tried it - it seemed to be better. This is the first mask issue I have had - I can flood/clear no problem. Water shot up my nose, I think the pressure of putting it back on forced water up my nose. I tried blowing out on my nose during this - however it wouldn't allow the mask to seal..

I felt like that I couldn't blow out with my nose and put the mask on at the same time. If I blew too hard it would just push the mask forward (hope that makes sense.)

If you seal the mask on your face with your hand first, you can look forward (parallel to the ground) while pressing the top of the mask lenses to your forehead and blowing air through your nose to clear the water through the bottom of the mask (very quickly) -- before actually pulling the strap on over your head.

It may take a little practice, but for me it seems the strap goes on much easier once my mask is sealed on my face, filled with air and I can see my partners ;-).

At the least, I don't feel stressed while fiddling with my twisted mask strap.

That's actually a great idea - don't fuss with the strap until I have cleared completely. The instructor was explaining to seal the mask, put on strap, then clear.

But I think having a clear mask would make the strap go on much easier.

That's actually a great idea - don't fuss with the strap until I have cleared completely. The instructor was explaining to seal the mask, put on strap, then clear.

But I think having a clear mask would make the strap go on much easier.

It doesn't take much more than a normal outbreath through the nose to clear it, experiment and see if it works for you :). Just make sure not to let go of your mask once it is cleared, before you pull the strap on!

Shove the mask on first, seal it to your face, look up, clear, (nose blow) then put the strap on. No worries you're doing fine, relax and enjoy. Welcome to scuba.

Shove the mask on first, seal it to your face, look up, clear, (nose blow) then put the strap on. No worries you're doing fine, relax and enjoy. Welcome to scuba.

Thanks I feel 100% confident about everything up until this one issue - going back Wednesday for some free pool time (have a great instructor allows us to use the facilities as much as we want)

Planning on working on this a bunch before our next class Saturday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom