Marking Wreck Reel for Length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DNK

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is there a standard way of marking the line on your wreck reel so that you can tell how much line is out?

I was thinking something like roman numerals.

I = a short mark (1/16 inch)
V = a wider mark (1/8 inch)
X = an even wider mark (1/4 inch)
with 1/16 inch gap between

and each mark represents 10 feet.

Marks can wear off. A better way to mark distance is with knots.

Knots every 10 feet. Can't see the marks if silted out, or if no mask and sea water plus crap in it has ruined your vision, or if in the dark and you've been really "lucky" and lost all three lights. Plus, mark your reel so you can identify it by feel only.

My reel is knotted. However, I don't think I would be counting knots during exit in a silt out situation. I'd just be getting the ---- out! I agree with marking your reel for feel only, but this is necessary for cave diving only. Chances are you won't leave your reel behind in a wreck like we do in caves, so you won't need that feature.

He wants to know how much line is out. For that he can count knots on the way in.

You are correct: "Chances are...." But, what about trying to find the exit? Tie off, count knots for distance on an expanding search.

From your profile you are more experienced in overhead than I am. So, maybe I'm being unnecessarily cautious?

That's fine if you want to count knots on the way in. My reel is knotted for exploration. When I use it to enter a cave and tie off on the gold line, I don't care about the distance. When I use it to penetrate a wreck, I count penetration based on compartments not distance. You listed silting out in your post, so I was replying to that particular statement. On a silt out I won't be counting knots. I know the line leads to open water. That's all I care about. When I get to my marble, I'll be able to see it because I'll be in open water. :D

Isn't it wonderful how the same tools can be adapted to different diver's personal preferences and styles without compromising safety?

knots every 10 feet on spools is more functional for deco in a no-viz/lost-mask situation...

i've been wondering what people do for marks on reels for surveying, particularly if you want to get decent 'resolution' -- i'd rather not put in 3 foot knots on a 400 foot reel...

lamont:
knots every 10 feet on spools is more functional for deco in a no-viz/lost-mask situation...

i've been wondering what people do for marks on reels for surveying, particularly if you want to get decent 'resolution' -- i'd rather not put in 3 foot knots on a 400 foot reel...
Actually, this came up in another thread I read in thepast week or so. They use regular (land-based) surveyor's tape measures, the ones that go hundreds of feet, according to a poster claiming to be an u/w scientist who has done a lot of u/w site surveys. The tapes are fiberglass and unaffected by water, and although the screws get a little rusty, most parts are plastic so they still last for quite a while with normal rinsing.

http://www.agedstore.com/env/forestry/surveyors_tape.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom