Mares X Vision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjdiver once bubbled...
I am torn between upgrading my OLD tri-view for either an Mares X Vision or the Cressi-Sub Big Eyes. Has anyone tried them side by side? SSRA30, do you have any regret over your lost Big Eyes? If you started from scratch, which one would you buy now?

Thanks,
Rob

I think I could be very happy with either Big Eye or X-Vision. If I have to buy a new mask today, I think it would be the X-Vision though. Both have excellent field of Vision but I find the X-Vision skirt a lot more comfortable to wear and the low volume design made clearing the mask a breeze. It felt a little strange at first to have the mask so close to the face. When I first used the Big Eye, I was amazed at how much I can see. When I switched to X-Vision, I did not have similar feeling but that was most likely because I was used to the field of vision on the Big Eye. However, I also did not feel that I was seeing less with the X-Vision.

Mask just arrived, and I checked to ensure fit in a 5' swimming pool.

I shook my head rabidly, swam, hung out upside down vertically, and face up horizontally....no leaks noticed. Can I assume that if it wored well in 5' of water it will perform as well, or better under recreational diving depths?

I'm planning to put my perscription into this mask, which is a relatively $$ additional feature, so I want to have confidence that I'll stay leak free.

On the same note, I realize that most places bond Rx lenses to the inside of the factory lens, but there is also an option to replace the factory lenses with either the Mares standard, single vision diopter lenses, by dismantling the the mask bezel. I will inquire at my optical lab if this is possible for a custome lens .

Has anyone that has done this replacement on an X-Vision (or other mask) encountered leak problems in the lens areas following replacement?

jlkline once bubbled...
On the same note, I realize that most places bond Rx lenses to the inside of the factory lens, but there is also an option to replace the factory lenses with either the Mares standard, single vision diopter lenses, by dismantling the the mask bezel. I will inquire at my optical lab if this is possible for a custome lens .

Has anyone that has done this replacement on an X-Vision (or other mask) encountered leak problems in the lens areas following replacement?

After testing someone else's I've just bought the X-Vision online, and hope to get it this week.

The guy I bought it from says he also specializes in Rx lenses. I got the mask for a great price, so I'm guessing the lenses would be priced great as well. I wouldn't know since I don't need them. :p

If you're interested, PM me and I'll pass along his email address.

Marc

I tried my brothers x-vision and I was amazed... it fit my face so much better than my oceanic (and that fits really well) and the view is simply astonishing! It's even better than my sister's Big-Eyes...

You can pst me a meesage with the contact

That is the only reason I have not bought this mask, it looks like a failure point. Interesting thing is the straps appear hard to come by as well. That's the only thing I don't like about it, I tried it on seems like the straps about to break. I guess I'lll wait and see how everything holds up with you guys, it sounds promising.

Mask OK, only the strap always slips through the quick adjusting buckles (on dry as well on wet conditions).
I'v been back to the diving store but they said they could not help me.
So my advice when having +65 euro's to spend: buy another mask.

jlkline:
Mask just arrived, and I checked to ensure fit in a 5' swimming pool.

I shook my head rabidly, swam, hung out upside down vertically, and face up horizontally....no leaks noticed. Can I assume that if it wored well in 5' of water it will perform as well, or better under recreational diving depths?

I'm planning to put my perscription into this mask, which is a relatively $$ additional feature, so I want to have confidence that I'll stay leak free.

I have a Mares Seta that has the Mares Rx lenses. It was the first thing I bought(together with the mask) and the LDS put the in. It was 5 years ago and after couple hundred dives with this particular mask, I can report that I didn't have any problems whatsoever with the mask or leakage. I don't know what the lenses cost here but in Germany, where I bought the mask, each lens was as expensive as the mask itself. :(

Back
Top Bottom